Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > To Yougoslavian teachers    

To Yougoslavian teachers

soasiglem
France

To Yougoslavian teachers

An 8 years old girl  told me ( her teacher) yesterday with sparkling eyes: " ladgi san maestra"  which means "you are beautiful teacher"  I really would like to answer her in her language "thank you, you are beautiful too!"
She lives in France, speaks French very well and is one of my 28 pupils as I am a French teacher
It would be nice of you to help me as we only have a week left, and I don �t want to ask her to translate it  for me
Thanks so much! Hugs from France

24 Jun 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

Hmmm, are you sure the girl is from (ex) Yugoslavia?? because i don �t really understand "ladgi san maestra" .... hmmmm ... Ermm

24 Jun 2009     

valedanilova
Macedonia

Dear Soasiglem, there must me some confusion or misunderstanding....I don �t understand what "ladgi san maestra" means either, so it cannot be in any of the (ex) Yugoslav languages... sorry...  Smile

24 Jun 2009     

annna
Slovenia

Dear Soasiglem, I agree with Ivona and Valedanilova. I �m from Slovenia (ex Yugoslav republic) and "ladgi san maestra" is not Slovene, our language. Nice day to you and your dear pupil. Annna

24 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Hehe, at least the post brought us together. We could do with Anita (CRO), too, to make the pic ... fuller?? Anyway, to me �san � and �maestra � sound toooo Italian. Maybe, if there �s an Italian member, he/she could help out. It would not be strange for soasiglem to make the mistake because Italians do have all the sounds that we have in our Slavic languages.

24 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hmmm. Good luck!

I only know ladgi as being Hindi/Punjabi or from an obscure Filipino dialect.

�san� is usually related to �Saint � in most of the Italian or Spanish I�ve read (and it�s an honorific in Japanese) while �maestra� is usually related to �master � or perhaps �school mistress �.

Sorry I�m not more helpful... but this has got me curious!

24 Jun 2009     

jecika
Serbia

Ladgi = Lady (maybe ... perhaps ... probably not) Confused

24 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

It �s not Romanian is it? Romanian is very close to Latin....

24 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Jecika, what are you doing here?? I was here first to represent us! Tongue
Anyway, the student would have to have a really strong pronunciation of the "D" sound to be heard like a "DG" ... Hmmm ... Italians have the same "D" as we do so i don �t think it is it ... And yes, "san" comes from "santo" meaning "saint". Maestro (m.) and maestra (f.) do mean "teacher" in Italian. I�m totally puzzled with the first word. The only word that comes to my mind that could be pronounced similarly is leggere (=read), and the conjugation for the 2nd person sg would be "leggi", i.e. (TU) LEGGI (the subject can be omitted) ... Sooooo ... it could mean
"You read/You are reading, St Teacher" LOL How does that sound?
Now, where are you soasiglem to help us out with more clues!??!

EDIT: Now, if we take punctuation into consideration, and if it was "Leggi, (comma) san maestra" it could have been an imperative!

24 Jun 2009     

jecika
Serbia

LOL  Yes, mam! I leave it for your honour to charge. I rest my case here. Wink Big smile... putting off my thinking cap Stern Smile

24 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

(ahhhh, i �ve done sth to the thread after editing mine! your post is not the last one!)

24 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >