Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Do u use ur native langauge in English classes ?    

Do u use ur native langauge in English classes ?

miss noor
Palestine

Hi,

How r u ?

I hope all of u fine and happy.

Let �s disscuss this topic :

Is this allowed or unallowed ?

25 Jun 2009      

txellalalluna
Andorra

it depends on sooooooooo many things, that if the answer is yes or no i �ll have to say yes.

it depends on my mood, on the mood of the children, on their level of understanding, on the time my lesso is, on what lesson they had just before mine...
i do not want to block communication with them and although i strongly belief that the more they are in contact with the target language the more chances they have to learn... i will not get stuck in English when they are not open to it or they just need a break.

I speak as much English as I can in my classes, but because i teach compulsory levels, I get very different degrees of motivation and capabilities. When i first started teaching i only wanted to speak English, but now i feel it �s counterproductive with certain groups.

i push as much as i feel i can push.

25 Jun 2009     

yuliya888
Ukraine

Yes, I agree that it depends on many factors. Of course, you must take into consideration your pupils � age, their level of knowledge. At my school, when the headmaster visits English lessons, she always stresses that an experienced teacher must speak only English during the lesson. If pupils don �t understand you, use all possible sources: pictures, gestures, etc. Mother tongue is prohibited. Teacher must be an actor in some way. 

25 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I had some kind of a debate 2 days ago with another member about that. All I can tell you is that I teach my students for 6 years, from grade 1 to 6 and I do not use my native tongue inside my classroom. The English classroom is for English. As soon as I set foot in my room, it is "on". However, I do other things in the school as well and my students know I speak French (L1) too so outside the classroom, it �s ok.
My students are so used to hearing English that when they hear a message on the intercom in the English classroom they react.

25 Jun 2009     

FroggyClaudine
France

It is strongly recommended to speak English only but to be honest, depending on what I do and the level of my pupils, I put some French in it. When we try to explain a point they �ve got problems to understand, I turn to French but when they communicate and speak French, I give them the English for it or answer their question in English : for example if I get "J �ai raison", my answer will be "Yes, you are right" and I wait until I get "Good, I �m right", which generally speaking comes soon enough.
I do feel there �s always a difference between theory and practise and I �d rather have pupils who understand what �s happening in the class instead of pupils being lost and discouraged.

25 Jun 2009     

khalil Ibrahim
Bahrain

hello miss noor and everybody.

I think using native language in teaching English is helpful in some cases.
But again teachers should use the minimum of their native languages. It depends on the age of the pupils and their level. one main advantage of using native language is saving time. Instead of spending alot of time explaning the meaning of an abstract word , you can easily translate the word and then have more practice on it. teachers should be careful when using native language. If a teacher uses his native language frequently, his puplis will be acustmed to this and they will not bother themselves listening to english . They will waite for translation to understand.A good teacher - in my opinion- is the teacher who challenges his pupils.

Finally, I recommend using native language for purpose only.

25 Jun 2009     

Ms. Fadia
Palestine

I am a third grade English teacher and I only speak English in my classroom. I always explain to my Ss that they don �t have to understand every single word so they don �t have to worry. I use pictures and flashcards to teach the new words. i �ve already taught them most used classroom language since the beginning of the year. My Ss don �t complain. 

25 Jun 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Currently I am teaching English in Sweden to people from all around the world who for the most part do not speak any Swedish and little to no english at all, (apart from my university students who are at a good level). The only way to communicate is through English. It has been a challenging time but it can be done as long as there is appropriate preparation and lots of various learning activities along the way.

25 Jun 2009     

missola
Palestine

hi miss noor
to tell you the truth I use my native language in the class with my students but this is because their level in english is very poor but I don �t use it all the time or to translate every single word. But I agree that this depends on many factors as the previous colleagues have said. You alone can decide what works for your students.

Have a nice time

Ola

25 Jun 2009     

khaled69
Jordan

hi miss noor
i think everyone who teach English as Esl language use his native one especially when he or she wants to explain grammar but  we cant use it when we want to teach new vocabularies
but as miss ola said before (you alone can decide what works for your students).
regards
khaled 69

25 Jun 2009     

miss manal
Tunisia

hi miss noor
this is the most difficult problem for me
our inspector told us to speak only english and i try my best to explain new words by flashcards and gestures but some times there are abstract words or a grammatical point that can �t be understand without speaking our native language

25 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >