Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Critical approach    

Critical approach

bubacskam
Romania

Critical approach

Hi all,

Here is a "wonderful" topic for the weekend :)  I came over an important issue during my studies. My question is, how would you increase your student �s critical approach to a literary text? I have to present at least two activities, by which I can do this.

I really need your help. By the way, I think the answer is right in my face, but I am sooo dazzled by the question �s complexity... or maybe just because it is Sunday :)

Have a wonderful Sunday,

Krisztina

28 Jun 2009      

eeolyn1
Romania

I �ve come across a very interesting activity on the subject.

You could give your students different assignments about the text: ask them to look at the text from the perspective of the male character, someone else looks at it from the perspective of the female character, someone talks about what is good there, someone else about what is bad, someone else about the atmosphere, and so on.  I think there are very many variables here that depend on what you aim at. They could write an essay on their particular view and then these should be shared in class to form a coherent and more complete image of the literary piece.
Hope this helps.

28 Jun 2009     

Kohaku
Japan

I love this idea!!! Thanks!!!

28 Jun 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

You could also have them write a different ending, or you could have them write a shorter version in a different time period.

For more advanced students, have them find other literary works, not necessarily the same genre, that have similar themes, and they would have to defend their choices.

Carla

28 Jun 2009     

bubacskam
Romania

Thank you so much for your answers, I have already taken notes of every idea :)

28 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi
You could also have them make link with their own personal life.  What would you do if it happened to you? Do you know anyone who had a similar situation?
eeolyn1 gave you really great idea!

28 Jun 2009