Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Language Schools    

Language Schools

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Language Schools

Dear colleagues, I wonder if language schools are common in your countries? Are they popular among people? Have you ever worked in such schools and what is your opinion?
Here in Russia there are a lot of language schools, where people come to learn English and they pay for their classes. These schools are popular among adults and teeenagers who come to these schools to improve their level of English and get better grades in public school or prepare for important exams or they just want to develop their speaking as most of language schools stick to communicative approach. Thanks for you replies and have a wonderful day/evening!!!! 

28 Jun 2009      

silvia.patti
Italy

In Italy there are a lot of language schools. I haven �t ever worked there but I have been attending a German course for two years during my university. My teacher was young, nice and well-prepared. The most of schools want mother tongue teachers, so I think it �s difficult to work there to teach English, French, Spanish...

Bye

28 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Most of my ESL experience has been in language schools. For the most part, they only hire native English teachers (NETs).  Local English teachers (LETs) have to work in public schools.  The kids in the language schools can be a lot of fun. The classes are smaller and there is more interaction with the NET.  I spent two years teaching grammar there but there is also a big push for speaking and listening skills.  I believe grammar is the root of the skills. You can �t make a good conversation if you don �t understand grammar.

28 Jun 2009     

Bruna!
Brazil

I work in a language school and yes, they are very popular here, because, honestly, in Brazil, not only English but also other foreign languages are not given much attention in public (and even private) schools, unfortunately...
People definetely can �t depend on school to learn English, that �s why we have tons of language courses.

28 Jun 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Thanks for the replies!
Bruna, same situation here.

28 Jun 2009     

yolprica
Spain

In Spain we have public and private language schools and they are very popular since we know how important English above all is in the world today. Most children and adults go there to learn English since the English we teach in schools and high schools is not enough to bo proficient in that language.
Kisses
Yolanda

28 Jun 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

All my ESL work has been in private language schools and I love it. You can concentrate on just one subject and you have all day to do it. I taught for many years in a primary school but found that there were so many interruptions and extra-curricular things to do that there was not enough time for any one subject. Therefore I say "Yay!!!" for private language schools. (But then I �m not paying!!) Incidentally the pay in private schools is way lower!!!
Cheers joy

29 Jun 2009