Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > My opinion    

My opinion

Cyn.
Argentina

Arkel,
You can see where a flag is from by right clicking on the image and pressing properties.

29 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi everyone

My request is that members post items such as Nebals, birthday wishes, jokes, interesting photos etc in the cafe where Victor intends them to be.  That way we can look at them if we want to rather than be confronted by these enormous bright, flashing, and sometime confrontational, images day after day. 

As he said the Teachers Cafe is the place where we can chat, share funny images, send greetings, wishes, etc.
Cheers

Jayho

29 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello... all of you

It is difficult to begin...
I quite understand all your opinions, but, first of all, when I saw the pictures, I thought:
" If a dog can, if a dog is able, if an animal can survive, can turn the coin and watch the other face, how is it possible that, so many times, we humans, feel so miserable for our miseries.
I think this was, more or less, what Nebal intended to tell all of us. ( I hope I am not misunderstanding you, dear Nebal ).

Then, I also understand that so many of you felt uncomfortable and shocked; these are not happy pictures to be seen, we all would prefer a better world, but this is our world, this is what we have. We must face it, we must face ourselves.

I am Portuguese; many of you probably don �t know, but we lived in a authoritarian political government until 1974; there is one thing I quite remember:
we didn �t have handicapped children! ( forgive me, I don �t want to hurt any of you ). The point was that all the families were ashamed of having such children and they hid them.
The first time I traveled abroad I was perfectly astonished, because I met many handicapped children, in lots of countries. And I felt happy for them, they were not like in my country, they didn �t have to stay at home, away from strange people.
That is what makes the difference.
Handicapped are not different, are they different from what? Should we stay shocked because people with some special difficulties in some area are able to overpass them?
Or should you be proud of them?
Barbara, please, come back, Nebal doesn �t deserve this.

Hugs
olindalima

29 Jun 2009     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I think that Nebal meant well with her post, and I bet she could never imagine it would come to this point. I believe others are right to say that the site �s forum is not the best local for this kind of things, however, nobody feels "bothered" or "shocked" like some said when someone posts a comic strip, or whatever.

Well, like I �ve already said, I can feel nothing but PRIDE and HOPE for the world when I see such things, I do not understand (and I mean, my heart does NOT understand) prejudice and rejection against "different". Someone said that the animal was being �used � by humans, and I remembered the freak shows, can you honestly tell me that you believe that �s the case for Faith (the dog �s name, you can check the website, someone posted on the other message)?

I �m a huge weeper, I cry everytime I watch Tony Melendez video, not because I feel sad for him, I feel proud of mankind and too happy for him, he never considered himself incapable, who am I to consider him so? Or pity him?

Like olinda said, there �s nothing more terrible than rejection to those who are different from what we consider "normal".

I always hope we all get to evolve as humans and as part of Nature, being able to live in true love and acceptance.

29 Jun 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

I don �t understand why so many of you are aiming at nebal or the people who post birthday greetings or things like that. The aim is to share deep feelings with everybody, not with the few who enter the caf�.  These posts are discreet and their intentions are heathy to this site as well as many posts here. How is that that many people  post whatever they want but feel with the right of critizing the others?

I agree with Libertybelle " How about just writing a nice message to Nebal telling her how you feel instead of going on a full-blown strike?"

Sorry if I sound rude to you, but Why don �t do you the same that some people here: If you don �t agree with the post, don �t answer it, and that �s it. What �s the sense of making a person feel embarrassed because you strongly disagree with the post??

I know how Nebal feel after such a reaction from the members!!! It was not her intention to create such a controversy but to transmit an isnpiring thought. 

Sorry for being too sincere, but I sometimes don �t understand why people spoil some nice momemts in this forum by using such comments!!!

29 Jun 2009     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Sorry, I just can �t understand! I hadn �t noticed that Eng (Barbara, I think) said she wouln �t be on the forum untill the pics were pushed off. And I too, like Damiele, do  NOT mean to be rude, but I can not help but think this is what most people would like to do, NOT SEE this "kind" of things/people/animals. Get them as far away from us as possible, and believe you me, I have met many people like that.

Only sick people would get entertained, and only little people would pity them. And those are more of a disgrace than any of the misfortunes in the world.

Do you really believe that people are exposing the dog, or Tony Melendez is showing off? Trying to send a beautiful message that we can overcome our problems and we MUST accept each other despite differences is to be exposed?

I guess people really are different. In so many more ways than just physical.

29 Jun 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

To those who misunderstood (or wanted to) my words:

I DO feel pity for that dog, but NOT because of its disability but because of what the man has made of it!
That�s why I said "pity for the dog and shame as a human being".
The dog would have a normal life, much better, if  it  was helped in other way...and I do not mean any kind of technological stuff, but something made with love in order to let it move easily.

Disable people hate being exposed or being treated differently and NOBOY -as far as I know- said something that could lead there...
Bruma...you have taken things too far, my dear.
Try not to offend. That�s not the best way to be read and taken seriously ...or...respected.

Damielle:
Victor set the rules and we must follow them.
This site is to discuss anything connected with teaching and learning and the Cafe for any other issue.
If you do not follow the rule, you are ignoring the owner.

Now...to bed

Hope you have a great day.
Every new day is a new beginning. Try to start with a smile and enjoy the beauty life gives us every minute...

Peace and loads of love

29 Jun 2009     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I hereby deeply apologize if you or any other felt personally offended by my comments. I, like yourself, was trying to share my point of view and understand others �. You said you feel ashamed for people who do �that � with a dog, that could �ve affected me, but didn �t. I said people who pity others without their �consent � are little people.

I do not know very much about that dog �s story, could check it on the web though, but I do believe that nature takes care of its own, and I don �t think there �s nothing wrong with helping a dog (or any �being �) to be independent. If the dog had any kind of device for him to �walk �, he wouldn �t be able to lie whenever he wanted, pee alone, sit, run, do whataver other dogs can do on their own. Will he have back problems? Even vets don �t know that for sure, because as you can see, nature adapts. And even if he does have, and as long as we are on the subject of asking yourself what would you like if you were handicapped, what would you prefer, to have a little shorter but independent life, or live a few years more but on a wheelchair all your life? There are some cases that animals do need "wheelchairs", but I don �t think that was the case (As you could see).

And you �re right, tere. I do take things too far. Whenever I think �things � matter, I go all the way. But I was not offended by your opinion, as I hope you �re not with mine. But I could, I just don �t, it �s like we say in my country, "the hat did not fit me".

I care for being taken seriously, but not so much for being �read �. So if you have read till here, thanks in advance for your attention.

And, unfortunately, many handicapped people still have to prove that they �re capable, videos like Tony Melendez, and websites and pics like that dog �s, wouldn �t be necessary if the world learned from them and accepted them, and RESPECTED them, and they wouldn �t need to show their lives and say: Hey, look at me, don �t pretend you don �t see me! I can do anything! Or even worse, they have to tell you... Stop b*tching about how bad your life is and LIVE it! You are the luckiest person on Earth! Where they �re actually providing you a service here!

29 Jun 2009     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

And so, as any healthy discussion is always worthwhile, I wanted to say that in spite of any differences we may and will have, I love discussing with you guys.

It truly has enriched me personal and professionally, despite the little time.

Wishing you a great week! If you start complaining about anything, just watch that beautiful video of Tony Melendez, feel good about him and you, believe in yourself, and go for it!

If you think you can �t......

29 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hello again

I have my own opinions on the pictures and I don �t feel the need to voice them in this open forum.  This is not the first time these pics have been published because they have done the e-mail rounds several times the world over and I �m sure everyone has their own opinion which we must all respect.

My point is that Victor implemented the Teachers Cafe for  the place where we can chat, share funny images, send greetings, wishes, etc.
What suprises me is that long-serving members choose to ignore this and inundate us with enormous, bright, flashing, and sometimes confrontational, images day after day that really belong in the Teachers cafe.

Please everyone, respect Victors intentions for this forum and the cafe.

29 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2