Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > An idea    

An idea

eng789
Israel

An idea

I was surprised to see that that poor dog �s pictures are still on the forum.

1.  I know that Victor created the teacher �s cafe so that we would have a place for talking about things not directly related to teaching.

2.  I think that there should be a rule on the forum similar to the one for wss about removing posts.  Maybe if 10 people (a least 5 from different countries- so we know it isn �t just a political thing) post a message saying that a post on the forum is offensive or distasteful to them, the writer has to delete it (and not force us to continue to see it there) or Victor can delete it (because he has the power to do it).

This is my opinion - do with it what ever you like.

29 Jun 2009      

jesica-dasilva
United States

I love animals very much and am the owner of a cat with only three working legs. I rescued him while I was in Mongolia and spent A LOT of money getting him back to the States.  I love my cat like a child and CANNOT IMAGINE what is offensive about pictures of a handicapped animal that has been taken care of, loved and has even helped handicapped children--especially when the dog would have been abandoned or put to sleep in many other cases. I will tell you this--that is the luckiest, happiest, most loved dog you will probably ever see. I guess my question to you would have to be: are you disgusted by handicapped people too or is it just animals?
Nebal--please do not remove the pictures. They were the most beautiful things on the forum today.
p.s That was the shortest boycott I have ever witnessed...

29 Jun 2009     

Kohaku
Japan

I loved the story about the dog. It is one of my favorite stories of survival. I feel that it is useful in my classroom where I mainly deal with discussions. My students always need a boost in their topics to have a conversation in English. I will be using this story this week and would be grateful for a printout if possible:) Thanks to the author of that story!!!
I don �t agree with it being taken out of the forum.

29 Jun 2009     

anatavner
Israel

These pictures took so much of your time, but I have a feeling that MANY don �t even know you �re talking about and I �m one of them!!!! eng789 wants ti leave the forum, until the pictures are removed. Where are they????? One must look hard to find them ( I didn �t find them.....) so what are we talking about????????????????
You spend so much time on something not many know about or have seen. WHY????

29 Jun 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Good morning dear teachers,

OHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYY GOD!! Now, it �s me who is shocked. I didn �t imagine my post about the dog would make all this argument and reactions.

Guys, I told you from the start that I wanted to post it in the forum so that many members have the opportunity to share my thoughts and feelings toward this dog that I feel proud of.
It means I know the rules and I know it should be in the cafe. I apologized at the very beginning for this and I hoped you would take it into consideration. Anyways, I do respect the rules and I �ve never broken any before.

I don �t want to defend my story or post coz I did before and coz many wonderful teachers here explained my intentions skillfully and carefully. Thanks a lot for sharing me the most wonderful feeling I got which is " Will Power " and " Respect" from this wonderful dog.

One last word,  I Want to apologize from one member here " Arkel" . Arkel, I didn �t mean any harm, dear. I meant to get inspired not to expose weakness. It �s from weakness that we get strength. We are all handicapped in a way or another. No one is perfect. You said you are functional. Of course, you are. I was trying to show that the will is what matters no matter who you are. I do bow before your gentle soul, dear teacher.

Thanks for all of you who supported and who opposed me. This is the real world- a world of differences.

Have a happy Monday,
Nebal

29 Jun 2009     

isabelle99
Monaco

The question is : isn �t voting for taking topics we don �t like out of the forum a sort of dictatorship?    

29 Jun 2009     

eng789
Israel

I said it was hard for me to look at the pictures of a misfortunate dog being used for the entertainment of people. 
I also said that I would leave the forum until the pictures scrolled down off  the main page or were removed  because it was hard for me to look at them.  ( I didn �t mean I would leave for good.)

As I said,  I love dogs and if I was to see that one ,  I would be the first to want to pet it and pick it up.  You realize that the dog did not choose to be there. 
I would feel the same way if a handicapped person was forced to entertain people.
I am a very sensitive person and I have no problem with handicapped or other people or animals.  I am not disgusted by the sight of them.  I �m disgusted by the people who use. them.
I have  nothing against Nebal - and I understand the reason she posted them and she is right to say that the dog is a symbol of hope and strength.  (but personally, for me they are hard to look at).

29 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

No, voting is democratic. Censorship can be decided upon in a democratic manner. Enforced censorship, without the opportunity to have open & frank discussion or a majority ruling decision is dictatorship!

It �s just important that the �losers � abide by the majority decision!

29 Jun 2009     

isabelle99
Monaco

I agree with you Alien Boy, theoretically you �re right. However, practically the wish to vote for rules and rules and more rules is something that makes me feel ill-at-ease. I think I just hate censorship or any way of dictating people �s opinion. For me, except for political and religious topics, every subject is ok. And  sometimes it �s so depressing to read the numerous complaints on the forum that I maybe fear another series of why-was-my-topic-voted-out-of-the-forum-it �s-unfair. 

29 Jun 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Yes I vote for a MOAN FREE DAY...   anyone join me????

29 Jun 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

I would vote a big YYYYEEEESSSS for Nebal �s pictures.They have inspired me as a teacher,and can be a wonderful raw material for my coming picture talk lesson.
You are right alien boy,but too many rules will add insult to injury.We want to have more freedom.Gone are the days of censorship and dictatorship.Let �s feel the freedom we were born with.I agree with isabell99 �s words :
"For me, except for political and religious topics, every subject is ok"
Thank you Nebal for the photos.

29 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >