Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > To Reporters and Moderators    

To Reporters and Moderators

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear, mr.dgdln
I don �t like the tone of your post.
you are far away from catching the point if you think that I am doing this only for a single WS while I have more than a hundred already uploaded and as many OE. And from a long time.
Sorry, but what you insinuate is really mean.

If you are interested and want to share some instructive ideas you are welcome. otherwise there are plenty of other threads where you can find you interest or why not the teacher �s caf�.
Then which majority are you speaking about? People were voting for or against this kind of WS according to their individual opinion and interpretation of a confusion (with Victor �s recognition) rule. And no one blamed them about it.

Please, if and only if we are interested in a discussion, the least we have to do is to read and follow all the post from the beginning. Otherwise look elsewhere.

regards

29 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Great points there re L1 & its application in the classroom.

For me (& I �m no �moderator �) I agree with you from an intellectual perspective goodnesses.

The problem lies more in the rules in this iste as they are applied.

Take your worksheet for example (& I appreciate both your work & your knowledge), if it had been uploaded with a column heading as, say �your translation � rather than Arabic and had a key in Arabic included as a final page then I believe it would meet the standards as people have argued because then the worksheet wouldn �t contain L1 but the additional information would be there for those who want it. It �s more a case of legalistic �hair-splitting � rather than pedagogy. Shame really, we are supposed to be teachers & not lawyers.

Kind regards,
AB

30 Jun 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

"I know I made the rule, but I �ve seen worksheets or powerpoints that become senseless if they are fully translated to English language:" (Victor)
If people had followed the rule of English contributions then we would never see such "senseless" worksheets on this site and this problem would not exist.
I would really like to say much more but a long and busy day is about to begin.

30 Jun 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Thanks for the instructive post AB
I do agree with you David provided that this rule was clear accurate and containing no matter to discussion.
No one is here to go against the rules stated clearly by Victor of course with the help of the other members.

PS: But just to have an idea about the real problem concerning the reporting section just have look there to see by yourself what is heppening; And what I was talking about concerning some members abusing the system.

30 Jun 2009     

zailda
Brazil

@Victor:

In my opinion wss here should be in English. If I see a wonderful ws with other language, I won �t download it (and I think many members won �t either) because I �ll have to manage with deleting & fixing the ws design. I ckeck the wss and sometimes I make some changes, but I prefer to keep as much as possible from the original work.

I also teach only English to help ss to think in English and I guess this is how the language teaching tend to be these days. If the ws in 2 (or more languages) are allowed, we have to get more and clear rules (where they are allowed, if only tranlations will be accepted, if the L1 part should be easily erased, etc), or we �ll see wss with only the title in English and for coherence we wouldn �t delete them.

About common sense, put an add telling you �re selling a piano for a razonable price that the buyer will set, and you �ll see how irrational people can be. So I think if 2 languages wss were allowed, we �d need strict rules about them, or the reporting page would turn into a mess.

Have a nice Tuesday.

Zailda Coirano

30 Jun 2009     

susiebelle
United States

I truly believe that this site should only allow printables that are 100 percent in English. The contributor can always mention that they have  the ws with L1 assistance that they could send whoever needs it. 

30 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello to everyone

This discussion is really getting long; I stopped voting in these cases, because things were not very clear for me; being a moderator doesn �t oblige me to vote, so, if or when I am not convinced of a fair position, I just quit.
I prefer, no doubt, a whole worksheet in English. You can check mine - I have a list of irregular verbs, with a column for translation for those who could think it would be helpful, but I didn �t write the translation in Portuguese.
I think Moravc gave a fair solution; both ( only English and bilingual ) could be uploaded in one doc.
Moreover, I think some people should be less agressive, it is not necessary to write rude words. Everyone of us understands when the others "speak" softly.
Use the emoticons - they are so cute. And smile now, after being dead you wouldn �t be able to...
believe me, that is something I am sure.Hug  Hug  Hug  Hug

30 Jun 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

I �m in my office and have a little time before class.
First a question for Victor, Do we have space to accommodate a bilingual section?, if the answer is "Yes.", then "Does the membership want a bi-lingual section?". Again if the answer is "Yes." Then can we have an additional "Level" so that contributors choose between "Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced AND Bi-lingual", it would solve some of the problems associated with such worksheets in that we would know at a glance it had a bilingual content instead of downloading it and finding out later.

30 Jun 2009     

Azza_20
United Arab Emirates

i prefer to download worksheets in English only, as i dont use L1 in class at all ( i try as much as i can ). but i dont think any worksheets with  second language should be removed as i believe some people here may find it useful.

30 Jun 2009     

Roy Piepers
Spain

David, what you are suggesting is pretty good. People then have the choice whether they want bilingual ws or ones that are in English only. The question is though whether the system can handle this. I personally find it very annoying to find bilingual ws as for me it means I have to spend more times going through contributions to find out whether there are any translations from any language (no matter what language that may be, it is something I don �t use as the lowest level I teach is Intermediate and I personally think they should be able to cope with English only) and I frankly don �t have that much time. Right, off to teach my first class of the day.

30 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >