Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > concierge?    

concierge?

mjotab
Spain

concierge?

Hello Smile,  I have a question about vocabulary

How do you call the people at your school who is in charge of the photocopies, of opening the doors, of first attending visitors...? Is it "concierge" a good word for it?
And how do you call the room where they are?

And, apart from the headmaster/principal, what are the names of the other main posts?

Thanks a lot, I want to create some posters for their doors, but I am not sure about the words!

29 Jun 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I would just call them helpers.  I have never seen a "doorman" at a public school :)  I have only seen "concierge" in connection with hotels.

29 Jun 2009     

FroggyClaudine
France

Janitor I would say. That �s what the man was called back in the good days of the two years I spent in Scotland...

29 Jun 2009     

mjotab
Spain

Janitor is a good word! But then, the room where they usually are is the janitor �s room?
I really apprecaiate your help.

29 Jun 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Concierge is def. never used of school personnel.  I, too, have only come across a concierge in hotels (someone who books theatre tickets for you etc). The English equivalent of janitor is caretaker -  a person who looks after the day-to-day running of the building e.g. attending to the boiler, making sure that the classrooms are suitably equipped with sufficient chairs/desks etc, carrying equipment from one part of the school to another, locking and unlocking the building and generally keeping the place tidy. Caretakers are also called upon to effect minor repairs and perform small painting jobs. I don �t think this is what you are referring to, is it?  The person in charge of photocopies is a reprographic technician (if your school has one; otherwise, it �s the clerical staff in the office who perform this task).  Visitors to any school first of all go to reception (or the general office, depending on the kind of  school). Apart from headmaster/principal, there are deputy heads, vice-principals, year heads, heads of departments - the list goes on and on.  Is this any help?

29 Jun 2009     

mjotab
Spain

Thanks a lot to all; ballycastle, you �ve been a great help! Smile

30 Jun 2009