Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Camp Ideas    

Camp Ideas

Mrscarlett
Korea, South

Camp Ideas

Hi folks!
I have a summer camp in my school and im running out of ideas.
I �ve planned a Karaoke class and a cooking class, but need one more idea.

Do you guys have any fun activities in mind?

30 Jun 2009      

Kasuga
Japan

Treasure hunt w/ map in English

30 Jun 2009     

LydiaKorea
Korea, South

Take a look at my resources for making Rock Cakes, you can use them as flashcards for memory pairs games. I �m doing the same classes for my summer programme. I bet your contract is with GEPIK :) Also youtube is great for getting nursery rhymes / pop songs with sing along lyrics. Hope this helps. 

30 Jun 2009     

AlexandraLopez
Dominican Republic

Hello, Smile

Have you heard of scrapbooking? It �s a craft that involves decorating photos with stickers and beautiful sheets of paper. Now the interesting part is that you can ask the children to collect a group of photos for ex : family pictures. Thus, children will learn vocabulary and have fun at the same time, also they can write messages or small notes about each picture, something like a narrative. At the end you can join the sheets (of scrapbooking) and form one giant book.
If children aren �t able to take pictures you can work together and take pictures of each other during the process of the camp in itself.
Just an idea,
Have fun
Alex

30 Jun 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

If you have a camera and a computer you can make a little journal of the activities.  You could take pictures of the activities and have the students make a little newspaper about their activities with their pictures on the front page.

What about inviting your friends or someone you know that has an interesting hobby or occupation come in and talk about it. 

Show and Tell is always successful as well.

Again it depends on the age of your students.

30 Jun 2009     

Zarade
United States

Skits! �Campers love skits! �There �s a whole collection of them here:

http://www.inquiry.net/OUTDOOR/campfire/stunts/index.htm

Have fun!Star

30 Jun 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Some more ideas:

http://www.thecampwiki.com/index.php?title=ESL_Camp_Games

30 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Please for the sake of the kids don �t make it too academic.  Most of our students across Korea have very little free time so make it as fun as possible.  Most of your students will probably be in Academies studying before and after your camp.  Worst is they study for the answers to the tests and not concepts.  There has been some good suggestions adding to the treasure hunt have them create ones of their own with you following the steps and tell them that it has to be a step by step direction and follow to a "T" including crashing into desks, walls, students when the direction are not accurate.

Movie or sitcom watching and discussion questions to go along with.  Even though most don �t think that is really learning point out showing different accents for the students to hear besides your own.  They get so use to hearing one type of accent when they meet someone with a different accent they are totally lost.  (Like some of my co-teachers.)

On the karaoke thing how about a lesson before it translating their favorite song to English.  Some of the big songs have English translations because LBJ wants to take Korea music to other countries.  big groups just in case you don �t know Big Bang, 2ne1, 21, Wondergirls, girl generation, and a couple others like Rain and Rainism.  It would also work discussing their favorite singers, describing them and throw in some of your favorite or weird singers to describe as another lesson.   May have to add my describe the picture powerpoint but there are no words just me asking some questions about each picture.  Did TV stars and some singers are also TV stars.  The kids got a kick out of Steve Urkel and Lurch.  (He looks like chocolate, He looks evil....)

30 Jun 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Why not draw a boardgame (using chalk) on the ground. They could even help you doing this. They are the pieces to move and you are the one with all the questions. My own kids love doing this during the holidays and they always eagerly ask me if their friends could also do this. (Last year we even bought a gigantic dice.) It is a lot of fun and I �m sure you can find a boardgame for almost any situation. 

Good luck!! Camps can be such fun!

Kristien

30 Jun 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

I �m starting at summer camp tomorrow and our first project is going to be a fashion show.  One of the themes is Worst Dressed and another is July Around The World - gives students the chance to use a bit of English and have fun at the same time.

30 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

The ideas given above are all great. I bet you �ll be racking your brain which one to choose! Smile
Treasure hunt sounds a LOT of fun!
Scrapbooking is less fun (in terms of TPR) but it has a great product in the end!
Giovanni �s idea about using the cam is absolutely my cup of tea and you could create a whole film. (One potato shrunk, Oops shrunk) - these were taken within an hour in a private language school. Imagine what we could have done on different locations ... awwwww!
Roney �s suggestion about making up a song in English, wow! It �s best with rap songs, because you get less musical ss take part too and not feel embarrassed. (Rap AAMMP)
Sea camel �s board game on the ground is perfect for smaller kids! ( Hopscotch - turned into a language game)
Thumbs Up

30 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >