Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Katie Couric īs Notebook: ESL Teachers Wanted (CBS News)    

Katie Couric īs Notebook: ESL Teachers Wanted (CBS News)

Zarade
United States

Katie Couric īs Notebook: ESL Teachers Wanted (CBS News)

In this video Katie states the English language is the official language in a number of States but not all of them? 狢 always assumed it was officially the USA language...not so? �What say ye on this topic?

Katie advocated more ESL teachers...do you think that ever happened? �What I have heard lately is that some schools are letting go of teachers, requiring instead that their main subjects teachers acquire an ESL certif., doing double duty. �What news do you have on this topic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=031xJTnQH5g&feature=related

30 Jun 2009      

libertybelle
United States

English is the 1st language in the USA even though it is not official- many speak Spanish, is the second language in the USA.
L

30 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Zarade double duty was a long time ago, now it is almost like 10 jobs.  There are several states saying they may have to lay-off because of budget crisis, others have jobs but are on a hiring freeze.  That is one of several reasons for me to stay overseas.  As far as I know there is no state that has actually voted in an official language as of yet, some have tried but never made it to the ballet to vote on.  There are 4 with two others on the verge where English isn īt the primary language but Spanish is; that is referring to L1 language.  Why I was an advocate of teaching a second language in primary schools and not just 2 years in high school, besides the fact we are a mix nation and this is a global economy.  Then add in that every study done so far has shown that a child entering high school that is bilingual learns higher subject material like science and math twice as fast as a student with only one language knowledge on the same IQ level.

As for Katie I wouldn īt trust her to put me out if I was on fire.  She does things on her on agenda and who pays her more.

1 Jul 2009     

Zarade
United States

�Would you believe I have lived in these USA for 20 some years thinking (assuming) that English actually WAS it? �
So all the times I hear people say things like "You īre in America, speak English", it actually is not legally proper....go figure! �
Thanks for the answers! 𢔛ou īre the best
Cool

1 Jul 2009