Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Conversation Trouble!!! Advise Please!!!    

Conversation Trouble!!! Advise Please!!!

Kohaku
Japan

Conversation Trouble!!! Advise Please!!!

I am having a difficult time with conversation in my classroom. I work at a private school. I am not allowed to speak any Japanese to my students, only English. I have a difficult time because of my age ranges.

I start my day with 2year olds and end my day with 17year olds. I am doing an excellent job with my fluent older students. However my 7-13year old ranges I always seem to run dry on conversation. Its very difficult to introduce new topics since they have little understanding.They are extreme beginners to intermediate/beginners. Its very hard to rate them since they understand some of what I say but know little about how to express themselves

Most of my classes range from 20minutes to 45minutes with this age range. I usually have no more than 8 at a time. Any advice on how I can lead a conversation with these students. I really want to help them with their English conversation.

I am in a desperate spot now since I am at a loss for how to approach this so that they gain the tools to help them.

1 Jul 2009      

idamjate
Morocco

Hello Adw2c,
      In my opinion, i suggest these points:
                 Try to make use of body language to express the meaning
                 Use visual aids bcs young learners love cartoon and cute pictures
                 Try to implement drama so as to make use of their physical actions; when you    teach certain elements try to engage them in role plays real-plays and so on
                  try some activities which involve drawing bcs they love it so much.

I really hope that the above lines help Thumbs Up

1 Jul 2009