Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > ough oug, ough, ough - it´s off to work we go...    

ough oug, ough, ough - it´s off to work we go...

Vickiii
New Zealand

ough oug, ough, ough - it´s off to work we go...

Can you believe there are 9 (count them if you don�t believe me) different ways to pronounce �ough�.  Check out this head spinner Wacko of a sentence below. 

A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.

A �ruff�- coated, �doe�-faced, �thortful� �plowman� strode �threw� the streets of �Scarborar�; after falling into a �slew�, he �coffed� and �hiccuped.

Corrections to my �kiwi� pronounciation are most welcome, and would love to see the actual phonetic pronounciation of these words.

I have said it before, and I will say it again - ENGLISH IS CRAZY, LOCO, INSANE, BONKERS, NUTS, MAD, BAMBOOZLING!!!!Pinch

22 Oct 2008      

Logos
Malaysia

Isn�t English wonderful!!  Who else but the British can take such a simple thing as language and mess it up in the way we do.  When students ask me why things are so complicated in English I say there is a very simple answer.  If English was easy - then I wouldn�t have a job!!!

23 Oct 2008     

trelly
Argentina

From what I remember, the phonetic transcription for those words are:

(sorry for pasting an image here, it seems to me that my phonetic script font doesn�t work here!)

Anyway, you can easily convert words into phonetic script using this site. It�s not really accurate as regards simbols I think, but it�s really useful if you are in a hurry.

Edit:  I don�t post the script from the site because when I sent the message some of the phonetic symbols changed to a beautiful question mark, and it was too late to print screen :-P

BTW, I remembered a poem I�d worked with my students to introduce the different sounds of the English Language and I uploaded the WS they used. Hope you find it useful!

23 Oct 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

Hey I am kiwi and I had a wee chuckle at that (hehe) LOL

31 Oct 2008