Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > sad     

sad

Mariethe House
France

sad

My answer to an esl friend whose work has been unfairly removed.

"i don �t like this system either.. it destroys the idea of friendhip and sharing which is

the basis of it! I hate to know people are there rubbing their hands and saying: I got

one! I am going to report it!!This is really childish and it degrades the site which in the

first place was such a fantastic idea! sad!"

I would have hoped a site like this one to be more humane! I am really dissappointed!

If people feel like cheating it �s the system which has to be thought over again!

Imagine yourself in a staffroom : If you saw a colleague with a nice ws in her hands

which you know is the photocopy of such book that you know very well, would you

shout at her/ him? Would you feel so offended?

Whats more I have had a look at some ws from people with loads of points.... It is clear that some

of them are so professional that they have been copied!! And these very people open

up innocent eyes and shout publicly  at others and report them!! Shame on you!  

1 Aug 2009      

goodnesses
Algeria

What you are accusing the moderators and the moderation system and by the way the creator of this system and the whole site is the least we can say not kind at all.

And coming from you!!!

I am really speechless ...

1 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

As with all systems involving many people, there will always be someone who falls through the cracks. I know that going through all the printables was an enormous job for Victor alone.

There were also many more complaints on the board (remember the Sheriff Cow?) about theft and people felt helpless.

This new system is a great help to Victor. I also think most of the reports are fair. And if someone un-fairly reports a worksheet without proof or a link - then most people won �t support removing the printable in question.
Nothing is perfect, but I think this is better than before and there are less and less thefts too.

Let �s not judge the whole system by just a few. There are many serious moderators here too.

That is just my humble opinion.
best wishes
L
PS - I just have to add that our founder, Victor, has a worksheet that was stolen today!!!  I wonder if he caught that one - the moderators sure did!

1 Aug 2009     

Mariethe House
France

I am not accusing Victor!! Where did you get that from, I am just saying that the system as it is

now is not 100 per cent sure that some ws has been copied and some people still  get

accused unfairly because some other "good intentioned " member has reported it ! And what I

find unacceptable is that the latter has done the same but managed to get through the fish 

net!!

And I keep to what I believe in: justice and not harming other people!

1 Aug 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

Having just become a moderator I have had my eyes opened by the number of people who do try to cheat the system. Of course  blasting people for using worksheets from other people in the workplace shouldn �t happen but let �s be fair.

This site is for the authors of original worksheets.

It is designed for caring teachers to help other caring teachers.

A good worksheet  takes a long time to create and should not be downgraded because of the rare users who take and take and think it �s ok to cheat the system. Like all systems mistakes will happen but when the author recognises their own work as an attempted contribution by someone else, hello! that �s really an affront.

If you do get a good idea from someone, then acknowledge it. Either include the website or the real author �s name.

Anyway I wonder if the saying from Shakespeare could apply in some cases
"Methinks, he doth protest too much!!!" Why?

Cheers to one and all from downunder.

1 Aug 2009     

Mariethe House
France

"Methinks, he doth protest too much!!!" Why?

If you read my posts billy joy, you will understand why!

1 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Read what I wrote Mariethe - No where did I accuse Victor of anything.

My point is that there will always be mistakes where lots of people are involved, but this moderator system is better than before.

There are many more stolen and copied worksheets here than there are un-fairly reported materials!

If you remember - we had wonderful members who were about to leave because they were frustrated over all the theft of wss.

Nothing is full-proof and there will be worksheets that are unfairly removed.
(If someone thinks they have been reported un-fairly - they can just upload it
again with an explanation in the description area.)

L

1 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

"i don �t like this system either.. it destroys the idea of friendhip and sharing which is
the basis of it! I hate to know people are there rubbing their hands and saying: I got
one
!"

When you point the system as a failure you are pointing its owner in the first place.
When you don �t precise who you are pointing when addressing a whole community you are accusing everybody and anybody in this community. Thus, you are just
spreading confusion and misunderstanding.

If you don �t care when someone steals your work and uses it as his own, it not the case of the majority here. I my school I always mark my own handouts with my own logo. However, I never refused them to my colleagues. And they never used them in their classes without warning me or after changing the logo. The same from my part. We have pupils first, inspectors and bosses who are there to judge us. I would never accept to be judged through the work of others as I would never accept the others to be judged through my efforts.

You are a teacher and this discussion should not be.

Regards

1 Aug 2009     

eng789
Israel

Dear Mariethe House  as the English Coordinator of my school it was my responsibility to check the wss and tests of 6 other teachers ( before they are photocopied and given to pupils).  I refused to allow anything that was photocopied from a book or could be considered stolen from a site.  As the coordinator - I would be held responsible.  In Israel a teacher was fined 100,000 nis which equals almost $25,000,  for using pages from a student �s book.   The system is here to monitor the integrity of the site.

In other cases when some felt his ws was removed unfairly,  after approaching Victor with an explanation,  the worksheet was reinstated.  Maybe this could be the case for your friend. 

There are so many more serious problems in the world. 

Have a wonderful weekend. 

1 Aug 2009     

Mariethe House
France

@goodnesses

"You are a teacher and this discussion should not be."

Who are you to decide what discussions should be or should not be?

i don �t think all the discussions you started or entered on this site should have been here!!

But who am I to decide what discussions should be or should not be!!Wink

@eng789

Thank you for a very wise answer

1 Aug 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

I am very sorry, I am going to ruffle a few feathers here I know, but you know what, it has to be said.  I agree 100% with Mariethe House here. 

The �moderation � system we have in place here is NOT up to standard, and there are members of this moderation team, from ALL ranks, yes ALL RANKS who continue to hold onto wss that are obviously NOT esl resources.

I have had a ws deleted on me, which was considered not to be an esl resource.  Now in comparison to some worksheets here it could be considered so, but compared to alot of wss still here, it offers a lot more than they do.

I, like Mariethe am disappointed in the moderation of the site, because I thought the main aim of moderators was to create a fairer environment to share work.  However, in my eyes, this has failed.

1 Aug 2009     

1    2    3    4    Next >