Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > To bloggers    

To bloggers

zailda
Brazil

Dear Goodnesses:

I prepare my own work since 1998, I don �t scan books. When I started some teachers told me to take copies from books and give them to students, I asked the director and she showed me the books licence: "you can photocopy for classroom use only".

I download ws for free from many sites and use them when I have special classes to give support to weak students (booglesworldesl, for instance) and sometimes I see a ws here that is familiar. I can even recognize the exercises. I don �t report them and in addition, this week I saw many contributions from a member that I was almost sure I had used before, but I asked another teacher (who downloads from that site and seems to know it better than me) if she had the links. She didn �t. We didn �t report the ws.

But someone else had the links and provided them when reporting so we voted for the removal.

We want to protect not only the site and the contributor �s rights, but the books and sites writers as well. I �m writing a book right now and it took many years to do it, so I won �t be happy if someone just copy parts of it and publish anywhere as his/hers. I �m also a weblog writer and won �t like to see my texts here or anywhere else without my permission.

And I think it would be a good idea to keep the site away from copyrighted laws infringments. If the ws remain in the site it could be a problem for the site. And I bet no one wants this site out of air for a week as a famous one was because someone uploaded copyrighted material.

9 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Another thing zailda.
Do you know how many members are over the 1000 pts. Hundreds of course if not thousands. So, you and I and the others who try help sweeping the site, aren �t obliged to review all the reported WS. let �s make a vote for those we are certain of and let the others to the others. Personally this is what I do when I go there. I vote for/against those I am 200% sure of and skip the others.
We aren �t the only ones responsible for the site.

A ws that is agains the rules of the site will be deleted the sooner or the later. So, let �s not give their owners a matter to argue.

9 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear zailda don �t understand me wrongly.

I am not incriminating the act of scanning or photocopying which are the same for me. We can scan to print a number of copies for SS when there is photocopier. We had ours 2 years ago.

I started teaching ten years before you started preparing. I used to photocopy or scan and re-type at the typewriter pages from the textbook or other books for my pupils. Because during many years and up till now a lot of SS could not afford having the textbook and even less other books. At a time, it was only the teacher who used to come to the class with a (text)booK.

There is no harm in downloading free stuff from the net. We all do this every day. Sometimes we remember where we get it sometimes we don �t. There are so many

But this is not the point in this thread I think.

Keeping the site away from copyright issues! I don �t ask less. Do you remember the discussion(s) about certain sites.

9 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Dear Goodness:

If I had taken a decision only when 200% sure I guess I would have done nothing all my life.

When I �m not sure at all I don �t vote.

The forest was on fire and the animals were running away. A little bird was trying to extinguish the fire taking water in its mouth, flying there and asperging it on the fire.

Someone asked: "Don �t you see you won �t extinguish all that fire?"

"I know - it answered - but I �m doing my part of the job."

9 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Dear Goodnesses:

I understand your point, but I don �t like photocopies because there are always changes I would like to make, so I prefer to prepare the ws exactly the way I need and with the vocabulary my ss are familiarized with.

I bought some books from Cambridge and Oxford, but sometimes I can �t use even the original because there are words my students don �t know or British English that is taught in my school only for advanced learners.

But if I scanned a book, or downloaded a ws from a site, and someone uploaded an identical copy, wouldn �t it be the same? I mean, wouldn �t it be enough proof (for me to vote, at least) that it was a copy?

9 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear Zailda.

This will be my last post, I am tired and it �s already late by here.

When I said scan and photocopy, it does not mean that was the only thing we did with our SS. Otherwise, believe me, we would not have lasted long in education.
I still feel my numb fingers with the typewriter and other poisonous chalk.
For giving the SS ws that suited them and their level and knowledge, I will just tell you a sentence that was repeated for many, many, many year during my career by all the inspectors I had to work with. It is: "Don �t be the slaves of the textbooks!" I started repeating this sentences myself when I became coordinator. LOL
Finally, it is not about your life. of course, if any one waited till he was 200% sure in his life, no one would have done nothing in his life. It �s a matter of a web site gathering people and their work from all over the world most thousands miles far from each other. That �s why we should be 200% sure. It is just another way to to be sure without the least doubt.

Have a nice day Zailda.

EDIT

9 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I said "I have done nothing all my life" and not "with my life".

9 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Zailda I am tired but not dumb. Where have you seen "with my life". I used "in your life" and "in their life" which is the same as do sth."all my/thier life"

I edited just to add "NOT" which I skipped.

9 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

It means "through all my life", which applies not only for personal things but to my "job" here as moderator as well.

9 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3