Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Do you know www.lyrics.com?    

Do you know www.lyrics.com?

zailda
Brazil

Do you know www.lyrics.com?

It �s a useful site, with tons of lyrics to prepare your own worksheet to upload it here.

My point is:

We have tons of sites with all the lyrics in the world, so if the person didn �t write the lyrics, s/he doesn �t have the right to upload it here. We can download the lyrics (for free) from many sites. They are ESL resource, but primarily anything written in English is - or could be.

To upload your ws here, it must contain your own work, so you have to add something to claim it as yours. For "something" I understand: exercises, tasks, or resources for classroom uses.

What about poems?

The same, you only have the right to upload it here without activities if you are the author. The same for texts, the same for pictures, etc.

And the lists? Oh, for sure they are useful, but don �t you have enough in your workbook? Aren �t they available in many sites in the net?

Sorry if I disagree with the majority, but a copy is a copy. If you copy other member �s worksheet, a person �s lyrics or poem and claim as yours, you are copying anyway...

Using a resource to prepare your work is different from  copy and paste someone �s piece of work (a list of verbs, a weblog post, a poem, lyrics...) and add a frame. Isn �t it?

Cheers

Zailda

8 Aug 2009      

Anna P
Brazil

I totally agree with you, Zailda!

8 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Maybe it �s a silly question, but how can we know that the image has got copyright?
I �m a member of www.eslkidstuff.com and I pay every year my subscription, so I suppose I am allowed to use those images. Am I wrong? Confused

8 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Hi Mariannina:

Before joining a site you have to accept the rules, including copyright laws. If you are not sure you should read the site rules again.

Cheers

Zailda

8 Aug 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Mariannina, I looked at the site. If you go to the FAQ, this is what you �ll find:

Can I save images from ESL KidStuff onto my computer? 

Yes, you can store all images and pictures onto your hard drive.  However, they can only be for your own use in class.  You may make worksheets copies for your students to use in class, but you may not make copies for the use of others (including other teachers or other students).  Images and pictures from eslkidstuff.com may not be used in any published materials or on any website without permission.  eslkidstuff.com is protected by copyright �2002-2006 ESL Kidstuff (see full terms & conditions).

8 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Yes, that �s what I �ve just done Cry I clicked on the wee wee tiny written "copyright terms and conditions" and I �ve discovered that I �m NOT allowed to give printables with those pictures to other teachers! I �m only allowed to use them in my classroom with my students Cry Cry Cry  So I must say goodbye to the majority of my worksheets. Well, I hope that after the "cleaning" I have 30 points left (sigh!)
Seriously, I didn �t do it on purpose, I didn �t notice the tiny note and I was really convinced that I could use those images. Sorry, I didn �t mean to cheat!
Ciao

8 Aug 2009     

eng789
Israel

What you are saying zailda if I understand you correctly - we can �t "print to teach" the "ABC" song or "Mary Had a Little Lamb" or "Old Mac" ... or any other song because we aren �t the author.  Teaching kids to sing a song in English is the task in itself.  Same goes for poetry.  I �m old enough to remember memorizing poems and plays. 

8 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Hi, Mariannina!

Why don �t you merely change the pics and update the printables?

Cheers

Zailda

8 Aug 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Eng789, most of the rhymes used in classrooms are free to use, in other words, public domain. In many cases, that is because no one knows who the original author is, or the original author is long dead. I think what Zailda is talking about here is when teachers take a modern song, remove a few words to create a cloze and post it as a worksheet.

We also need to be careful when using news stories or other texts from the internet. That can bring down a whole lot of trouble, not just on our own heads, but also on the site owner.

Mariannina... don �t fret about it. Perhaps just update those worksheets, changing the images. The material is still good : )

8 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Well, it �s a fresh new start for me, now I know more than before, thanks to all of you, and I �ll try to do better. Next time I download an image  I �ll check all the wee wee tiny words. Thank youHug 

8 Aug 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

I think that Zailda is talking about those who just upload the lyrics , a poem or a text (essay) without adding  any exersice or creative idea .  from my point of view, that �s a mere copy and should be removed.

It �s rather easy to create a nice activity out of a lyrics, so I think that anybody at least can do the effort to contribute with some innovative ideas to fit the aim of this site.

9 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >