Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Sad :(    

Sad :(

jecika
Serbia

Sad :(

It is little to say that I am shocked to see that most moderators are voting for the removal of this contribution ... reason: IT IS NOT AN ESL RESOURCE
http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=268534#thetop
In the description the author suggests using these cards for playing a memory game during which students between 3 and 8 years old must say the letters of the alphabet out loud. As a teacher who works with only young learners I consider this contribution to be a perfectly fine ESL resource.

Will somebody please explain to me why this contribution is not an ESL resource? Confused
I have been using and playing memory games to teach my students for more than 13 years and only now I came to a conclusion I have been doing it all wrong.

edit: too late ... the contribution is already gone ... voted off Shocked

luckily I saved the comments from the removal list before the worksheet was gone ... this is what I am talking about

still being very disappointed with the moderators´ decision

9 Aug 2009      

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

Hello jecika

You �re completely right... I coundn �t agree more with you...

I �ve been saying this for a while - there are many moderators who are overreacting....

They should keep calm and think twice... what they �re doing is evaluating other people �s work, something Victor says we shouldn �t do....

Flashcards are extremely useful, pictures also... and it can and should be used in class...
I use them all the time when I teach begginners....

Well....Maybe Victor should do something about that.... or ask the member to upload the
worksheet again...

9 Aug 2009     

Hanni9
Vietnam

I quite agree with you. Last time,  I also posted a game which named " hangman". About 30 people downloaded it, and thanked me for sharing, I was glad to contribute and happy when people thanked. However, the moderators deleted it with the reason" It is not  an ESL resources. I was disappointed and replied to him and asked the reason. "No reply"  I can get. Quite sad. I took much time to design it, and i was very satisfied when finishing it. 

9 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Dear Jecika, I don �t intend to change the  subject why you posted, but I was curious about something else you wrote:
I have been using and playing memory games to teach my students for more than 13 years and only now I came to a conclusion I have been doing it all wrong.
I wonder: what makes you think you were wrong? About what? Could you, please, explain?
Thank you.
Have a good day.
Smile

9 Aug 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

Somehow I don �t think it �s right to make the moderators � comments public.

I �ll refrain from writing comments if this happens and if people save them for later use.

9 Aug 2009     

eng789
Israel

I voted that it should stay.  Some people think that reading texts with questions are the only acceptable Esl resources.  

An ESL resource is  something  teachers use to make teaching easier so that our pupils will learn the language and hopefully enjoy the experience.  

These are all ESL resources ( as far as I am concerned)
 * a guide or plan for the teacher, 
 * a "How to ...." teach a specific item,  understand our pupil �s needs,  prepare for a  
                            lesson,    decorate your classroom, make flashcards,  make wss,  deal with
                            pupils/parents,  mark papers etc. 
*   a reading comprehension activity - using texts, articles, newspapers, charts and graphs, 
      songs,  e-mails, etc.
*   a writing activity -  fill in,  complete the sentence,  write answers, write questions,  write
     a new ending,  write a story/ letter/poem/newspaper article/describe/,  give your
     opinion etc.
*   a listening activity - using a song, conversation  etc.
*   an activity which encourages speaking - including songs/singing
*   games and puzzles ( crossword, wordsearch)  which teach the alphabet or new
     vocabulary or word order.
*   flashcards
*    etc. etc.
As far as I am concerned - all the above are ESL resources and should be allowed to stay as long as they are not copied or stolen from another site/book or other member here.

I also have no problem with someone uploading an original interesting text/ws without questions.  I can easily write some wh- questions or create a chart -  because an
interesting texts that someone has used and been successful with is a great find.

Although I teach Junior High,  I have about 50 -60 kids every year who need to start at the ABC level.  Not every ws needs to be a reading comp.   ABC - connect the dots or find the missing letter or memory games are great also. 

We are a mixed group of teachers.  We teach from the lowest level - non-readers (some with learning or physical disabilities  to the highest levels - University or for a specific profession  etc.  As teachers we all have different needs so this sight needs to include all the possibilities. 

What I am trying to say is that, before you report something consider the fact that some here might need it.  Maybe even you - down the line.

Sorry for being long winded.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

9 Aug 2009     

monicap_87
El Salvador

I agree.... Teachers need to be open-minded. I have hundreds of games -I �ve made up myself, that I wouldn �t upload because I know some people wouldn �t consider them ESL resources, when I myself have had marvellous results with them. ENG789 is right. Some people think that  texts with blanks, or questions alone can be considered resources. Sad..... really sad.... We need to bare in mind that most worksheets are exercises -with nice adornments and stuff, but exercises! which sometimes do not get to cover all of our students � needs. How about the kinesthetic ones? how about games?.... I �m not saying you did wrong or right by voting for the removal of the worksheet. I totally respect your decision, but I have my own, which I think is also valid. I don´t know whether posting the comments was not the best way to go or not, but let �s not miss the point here.

I tried to be very careful with my post not to offend anyone. If I still did, my apologies.

Blessings Hug

9 Aug 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

Jecika, I �m disappointed that you made the moderators comments public. We should be able to comment confidentially if moderating is to carried out successfully. All the moderators who left comments are doing excellent work trying to preserve the integrity of ESLPrintables.  There are disagreements among the moderators, which I feel is a healthy thing as we can learn much from each other.  Sometimes mistakes are made, but none of us is infallible, even Victor.

9 Aug 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Comments TOP SECRET?? Bah! Cool

9 Aug 2009     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

Why should the moderator´s page be secret? I don �t understand this! Anyone can reach the 1000 points and become one, so this is not a job assigned to some only?! or is it!??Ermm
Moderators do a great job of course, there are so many things that, really, you get to think that there are some people with loads of free time to upload blank wss, make second accounts and also upload wss that belong to other members, sites. ..etc..etc..

I think Jecika did right in making this public... I agree with her, that worksheet is an ESL resource. I have the feeling that some people vote according to the age groups they have had experiences with. Little ones use these kind of games! Maybe the person who uploaded that could add some colour and nice adornments and upload it again. Approve

9 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Help me here, because I �m a bit lost. What is the meaning of "to preserve the integrity of ESLPrintables"? I can understand eng789 �s arguments: they are logical and sustainable and constitute a real effort to define some standards.
"I �m disappointed that you made the moderators comments public": is this a real argument? Is sounds a little paternalistic, doesn �t it?
I �ll refrain from writing comments if...  also sounds a bit threatening, doesn�t it?
Just wondering why... it just doesn �t feel right.
Also wondering why, when this subject turns up, a thread with BIG pictures appears...
Have a wonderful day!
(small pic)

9 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >