Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > WHAT MAKES A GREAT STUDENT...    

WHAT MAKES A GREAT STUDENT...

Nebal
Lebanon

Hi Nika, good to see u here.

I don �t mean that students can �t be great if they are not only compassionate and helpful. No, I �m not treating this in isolation. A great student should be a great mixture of all the pre-mentioned traits.

You got me?? No?? It �s okay. It �s not necessary that we all see things the same. Wink
Thanks for commenting!!!!

18 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Hello, beauty!!!!! Don �t look at me with those big eyes and butterfly on the nose! You �re scaring me to death! CryCryCry  Besides, you�re dealing  with the first translator here of uncle Enver Hoxha into Portuguese... How about that?!? Edit: (loooooong time ago, not a  very good one, don�t tell anybody. Let�s keep it secret, shall we? Pleeeeease! 

18 Aug 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Sorry, sweet Nika!! In those wide eyes resides my humble beauty!!! What shall I do if I �m gifted charm ??? LOL Don �t mention my butterfly!! It �s the secret of my very existence!!Angry

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy Anita for diverting from the main stream. Embarrassed
It �s Nika �s fault!!

18 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Now, you �re being mean to me! CryCryCry I won �t talk to you no more! Gone! MMMM! Angry Not going to show you more pics in the caf�, either! I�ll stick by Mariannina and have a capuccino with her!MMMM! Angry

18 Aug 2009     

eng789
Israel

I agree with Zora "To me a good student is simply one who is curious about the world around him".  His curiosity will make him want to learn more and more - it is easier to teach someone who wants to learn.

18 Aug 2009     

douglas
United States

I agree with Linda (Zora).  I addition,  I also like the students that help the others understand.  I don �t mean the arrogant ones that use helping others as a way to get noticed or to show off.  I mean the students that ask questions that they already know the answers to, but ask it because they think it will help other students grasp the subject better.

18 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I agree, Douglas! Those are rare, though. Thanks, you guys!
More additions are welcome (this is turning out to be great)!
Anita

PS:Play nice, people! Don �t be naughty!Wink

18 Aug 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Fabulous topic.
(I have to go out and meet a friend, unfortunately, and i can �t take more part in this brain teaser, but i will add more to the thread when i can, even when it �s gone. Taking a bow, Anita! Thumbs Up)
In a nutshell:

Enthusiastic. Willing to imagine and to create. Responsible. Challenging.

To me personally, a great student is the one that makes (any kind of) progress after i have meddled in. It makes me extremely happy to know that i have made a change, and then it makes them happy when i make them aware of the change. It �s so fulfilling, rewarding ...

Oh, and a great teacher is the one that makes the student think both convergently (there´s one answer) and divergently (there´s more than one possible answer). (Gz, can these be adverbs with an -ly??) I�m off ... i�m late ...

18 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

A good student to me is one who doesn �t think he �s good enough - has almost given up and thinks that he �ll never be any better  and then works his little butt off, and suddenly surprises me, himself  and  everyone else by "doing the impossible" and proving that hard work WILL get you somewhere!
The day this boy learned the sky is the limit is the day he learned to believe in himself...........
and fly!!!

L

18 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Yep, true, I like it when I see progress after meddling in, too. You reminded me of a student once who told me even bad teachers help in a way, because you do what they don �t want and you know it �s a good thing - which would mean teachers, bad or good, can �t miss - they teach whatever they do... just kidding of course, which is what that student said after he saw me raise my eyebrow.
Anyway, one could say a good student is a good person and vice versa? Or not?
Zora also made me think of students who are not especially talented, but work hard, pay attention, communicate - oh, my, when you see success in those sts, and your meddling in (as Ivona calls it) and their hard work bring results, don �t you just feel this job was worth all the fuss?! Really making a difference with someone who has problems and overcomes them! I had a dyslexic st once with whom it worked, and it really stayed in my memory as a special miracle!

18 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >