Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > WHAT MAKES A GREAT STUDENT...    

WHAT MAKES A GREAT STUDENT...

FroggyClaudine
France

For me the perfect student is respectful ans tries to do things no matter what mistakes he or she might make.
I don �t like lazy, mocking or rude pupils. I have a soft spot for thoses pupils who have difficulties but try their best to communicate and improve. I hope it �ll help you.

18 Aug 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

Many thanks Anita for bringing this excellent topic to the forum
To me, a good student should be hard working, cooperative and ambitious. We can always make long lists of qualities that make a good student but the  3  above mentioned ones are more than a must, in my humble opinion.

First, hard work is required because "Rome was not built in a day". The learning process is long and complex and obviously students have to learn lost of vocabulary, and other things like irregular verbs, phrasals, idioms ... to mention but a few examples. In addition they have to  practise as much as possible and even if they are not working their English  they should constantly  be curious, to be interested in  everything  surrounding them (as Zora pertinently pointed),  things  they hear (the lyrics of a song on the radio for example) or  read (signs in the street).....

Second what I mean by cooperative  is that the student should be friendly and ready to help other students with difficulties if he can, be a good player when it comes to role plays. Similarly he should be cooperative with the teacher�s instructions and questions

Last but not least, a student without ambition will hardly progress, although I have seen many adults in companies who would content themselves with an intermediate level as long as they can understand and be understood. I rather prefer ambitious and positive students who like challenges and  are always willing to progress and, in word, never give up.

18 Aug 2009     

ants
Switzerland

For me a good student is a student who isn �t necessarily that bright but who doesn �t give up when obstacles are placed in his or her way.  I think a good student is also someone who is hardworking, who tries to do his or her best. I �ve often been surprised by some of my students....they suddenly blossomed with a few encouraging words...and luckily I gave them that encouragement, otherwise, I might not have seen them excel at English!!

I �ve been very lucky over the years and have had many good students who were motivated and enthusiastic. I also like, Silke, like an enquiring mind. That means someone is eager to learn more than just what you �re giving them. They usually make the most progress too.
They remind me of a sponge...they just want to soak everything up that you give them!!!
Fiona.

19 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3