Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Banned Books    

Banned Books

cecio_13
Argentina

Dear Spagman...
Do you really think this?
Well, I am sorry to say this but you are blinded, just like Satan wants you to be??????????
Do you believe in Satan??? Do you think that a book can affect your mind?
I do not want to sound roud... But we come from different cultures and I REALLY want to know your opinion... Smile

Hugs,
Ceci from Argentina

7 Oct 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I have not allowed my children to read Harry Potter either, btw.  I have four children, and thank G-d all of them are avid readers.  All my children have been reading adult books since they were 11.  But I picked the books, not them. 

I also censor the games they play on the computer.  I don �t have a television, and believe me my children are healthy, happy and well informed.  One doesn �t need to read trash to become well informed.

Judy

7 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Booo... to you to Idalina! Wink

I agree with you so much. I grew up with all kinda of books and read some risqu� books in school (giggled all the way) and I was not affected by it. In fact, I think that it made me more curious and open-minded to the world around me.

7 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

JK Rowling is the greatest gift to young people in years. She brought back the desire to read. Instead of kids standing in lines for new computer games and films, they now can �t wait to read.
And Spagman, perhaps we should also ban Fairy Tales and other books of imagination and fantasy. In my understanding of the word - Witches were normal people who were the object of jealousy and envy. At a time where women were supposed to be invisible, it didn �t do for them to be better than men at anything. Often a midwife or nurse was labeled a witch because she helped others. 
Your explanation is so far-fetched, it �s ridiculous.

How can young people develop a critical point of view if the only books they are allowed to read are homogenized and sanitized for their protection?
L

7 Oct 2009     

LeaS
Slovenia

nika, love the sarcasm Clap I agree, children should be able to read as many books as possible to help with their critical thinking. 
As a wise man once said, beware the man who has read only one book in his life!
Children are not as stupid nor as easily influenced as we think they are.

Spagman, one of my ancestors was burnt as a witch. She made teas and didn �t want to sleep with the local baron. I think I have to strongly disagree with you on this matter. Witches don �t exist. They were just poor women who didn �t conform to the way people thought, or maybe were a bit too wrinkly or made the wrong kinds of enemies. Nowadays, the wicca are just innocent people who spend way too much time indoors and not enought time in the healthy fresh air.

Thank God for Harry Potter books, at least now I �m seeing children tackling 600+ page novels. Agreed, they should then turn to true masters of fantasy, like Ursula K LeGuin, or Tolkien. But I �ll always leave that to them. I �d never dream of ordering them what they can read or what they shouldn �t read. Even if they don �t understand it yet, they �ll come back to it later.

Isn �t it a gift that we are able to express our opinions as educated adults! I think we owe that also to the many books we have been exposed to and that helped us broaden our minds.

7 Oct 2009     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

I agree with nikadixon

7 Oct 2009     

Portugal

It �s fantastic, isn �t it, Libertybelle? To watch 10 years old kids carrying a book of some 6 hundred pages, reading it to the very end and cueing to buy one... My youngest daughter tried one in English when she was 15 (never taught her English, at least, formally, believe me). When she asked: mom, what �s the meaning of...? I responded: Do I look like a walking dictionary? Tough enough to be a mom�

Big smile
Zora, you scared me to death: your booooo! is much stronger than my boooooOOOO!

Victor, I will erase the pic, when the thread is gone  from the main page.

7 Oct 2009     

cecio_13
Argentina

Nika... you are right!!!
It is wonderful to watch little kids reading such "big" and interesting books!
Harry Potter fans of all ages have learned more about two topics that have generated a lot of questions: Quidditch and fantastic beasts. hehe
 Hug

7 Oct 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

In my understanding of the word - Witches were normal people who were the object of jealousy and envy. At a time where women were supposed to be invisible, it didn �t do for them to be better than men at anything. Often a midwife or nurse was labeled a witch because she helped others. 
Your explanation is so far-fetched, it �s ridiculous.
OUCH!!!  I stand corrected.  You just TOTALLY proved me wrong.  I am inundated by all of your evidence.  Thanks for setting me straight.

7 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Often a midwife or nurse was labeled a witch because she helped others. 

Well, Libertybelle, some of them were just kids, who no longer served the powerful... sort of: became a nuisance to everybody. Light the fire! (5 o�clock: I guess I�ll have my tea now... will you join me, Leas?)

I will remove this pic when the thread is gone from the main page

7 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >