Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Banned Books    

Banned Books

LeaS
Slovenia

nika, I am certainly tempted....who am I to deny the power of ancestry...shall I build a nice roaring fire as well? Tongue

Let �s have our tea and remember the poor women who suffered so much for nothing.
I just love seeing 9 year olds carrying around such hefty books...I swear it �s a feat for them to even lift it! Some of them are smaller than the volumes!

Spagman, I �m sending a lot of love your way. 

7 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

I am lighting the fire girls! I will bring marshmallows and wieners and we can sing campfire witching songs!! Wink

7 Oct 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

A really interesting discussion!!!
As a parent of a child of course you can decide what you want your child to read. However as that child turns into an adult then I hate with a passion  things that are banned. I feel that adults should be able to choose what they want to read and not have some government tell you that you can �t read a certain book. I feel sorry for many countries that have strong censorship... I mean what are the rule makers afraid of exactly?
The rule makers should be more worried about the depravity that can be found at the click of a mouse!
The list in the original post includes many books that pupils are encouraged to read at high school level in the UK and I know when I was a student in NZ I read many of them as well.. and hey I turned out ok.  No really I have!!!!
I guess it reflects to an extent the culture of a country as well...

7 Oct 2009     

epit
Turkey

Think please if you were a child again ,wouldn �t  you like to read HP ?Of course I would.Hp series are today �s fairy tales.I beganreading my daughter very kind of books.Now she is 16 and half .She choose her own books Btw She owned all H PThey didn �t change her mind did not make her a witch.She is already a witch from the birth.Just kidding.I think the children who read  can be logical, creative and at the sametime they can have belief.It doesnot matter.In addition to  this,they are opposite to the vandalism.

7 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

@donapeter,

I know the feeling! I have the same problem!! Whenever I ask about books - 9 out of ten tell me the last book they read was for language class and they didn�t like it and they don�t remember that much about it. They read out of obligation and not love...

Most of them are like yours - favourite book? What �s that??

I even wish that they read magazines, comics or Anime - anything is better than nothing!

7 Oct 2009     

Portugal

I will end my session with a video from a song I love. It�s in French, by Jean Ferrat and it�s called: La femme est l�avenir de l�homme, published in 1975. With a special mention to LeaS. 

Good night, everybody!

7 Oct 2009     

sophia13
Uruguay

I can�t beleive it! There is so much more to the Harry Potter books than witches, spells, potions and divination.
 They talk about friendship, loyalty and doing what�s right and not what is easy.  I love Harry Potter, and I love that my students read them. Instead of playing computer games or watching some T.v  with no content.  Snow white has a witch in it ... sould we stop reading it  to little children??? She had a poison apple you know?... scary!

7 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Here �s something to lighten the mood! (And for everyone who isn �t versed in candy bars - Baby Ruth is a chocolate bar in the US. LOL )

7 Oct 2009     

reeta1
Canada

Although, I do think that Harry Potter books showcase witchcraft and spells and violence and death, they are still immensely great and satisfying reads, Would I ever do a unit on Harry Potter at school? Never. Would I encourage kids to read it on their own time? Absolutely. Agatha Christie is about murder, and she �s a classic. Huckleberry Finn is racist and it �s a true depiction of American history. When I was ten, I would read my mother �s Harlequin Romances, all about sex. It �s important for kids to read as much and as many books as they can. No, Pokemon doesn �t count.

7 Oct 2009     

douglas
United States

If sixteen year old "kids" are incapable of making their own decisions as to what books they can read, I don �t see how they are capable of surviving a single day in an American high school.  The number of life decisions they have to make about all the topics discussed and more on an average day is overwhelming. If we don�t teach them to make smart decisions early-on they will be in trouble when it comes to having to make them "on the fly".

These over puritanical-"burn the books to save our children" societies and fanatics are exactly what are causing the major problems in our world today.  Censorship is censorship. (period)  .

Sorry(kind of) if I have offended anybody, but censorship tends to offend me.

<>

7 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >