Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > FUN and FUNNY    

FUN and FUNNY

Marshmallow (F)
France

FUN and FUNNY

Hi all!

I have a question: my students were asked to put some adjectives at the comparative form back to their "normal" form ( example: taller => TALL). My problem is that there was the adjective FUNNIER. I expected FUNNY but some students chose the adjective FUN. At first I considered the answer was wrong but after second thought I�m wondering if that�s not a correct answer. What do you think? And what would the comparative form of FUN be if that�s not correct?
Thanks for your answer!!

Caroline

4 Nov 2008      

Carla74
Portugal

Hi there, caroline!

Well, in my humble opinion, I think that fun is a noun and funny is an adjective so fun having the comparative funnier is not correct. But that�s only me, wait for this wonderful people to give you an answer. They are surely going to help you because this is the best community of esl teachers!!! Take care!

4 Nov 2008     

Marshmallow (F)
France

Hi Carla!

Thanks for your answer! I thought as you did but I checked in my dictionnary and "fun" can also be considered as an adjective, that�s why I�m wondering what the correct answer is...Let�s see what the others think!

4 Nov 2008     

Marshmallow (F)
France

Well it�s me again...I think I�ve found the answer on this site: http://englishplus.com/news/news1202.htm
Seems that you were right Carla, I�ll have to throw my dictionnary in the bin! *sigh*Wink

4 Nov 2008     

Carla74
Portugal

Well, Carol, we are always learning, I wasn�t sure myself...
Thanks for the site. It is already in my favourites because I think it will be very useful!
Kisses and keep up with the good work... our pupils deserve it!!!

4 Nov 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Good morning to you all! I believe "fun" is usually an uncountable noun and it is usually placed after the verb to be (The match was great fun, wasn�t it?), although in informal American English it may be used as an adjective (That was a real fun game). Besides, in terms of meaning fun  is used when you want to say that people/ things are enjoyable , entertaining.... and funny when something makes you laugh: Why are you wearing that funny dress?? (it�s weird, strange, it makes me laugh) and Bungee jumping can be a lot of fun, don�t you want to try it?
But the doubt is still there for the use of fun as an adjective in informal English -- can we make the comparative or the superlative? "This was a real funnier game than  last week�s? I don�t know why, but it definitely doesn�t sound good to me.

4 Nov 2008     

mena22
Portugal

I�ve read the answer on that site. Thanks a lot. It�s clear now. Smile

4 Nov 2008     

Marshmallow (F)
France

Your explanation was quite clear as well, thanks!...Since I�ll have to explain my students why their answer was wrong, I�d better be ready with a simple and clear answer!

4 Nov 2008     

Apodo
Australia

If you started with the comparative �funnier�, I believe the only correct answer is �funny� meaning amusing or strange.

There isn�t a comparative for �fun� .....more fun?

4 Nov 2008     

renca
Czech Republic

If "fun" was an adjective, then - following the rules for making comparative-, the comparative form would have to be funner, not funnier. Nothing like funner exists, at least in formal language, so fun is a noun and funny must be an adjective. Cheers!

4 Nov 2008     

frenchfrog
France

BUT the Oxford Advanced Learner�s Dictionary has a section for �fun� as an adjective!!!!
ex: She�s really fun to be with. This game looks fun! There are lots of fun things for young people to do here.

Probably the only adjective without a comparative form????

4 Nov 2008     

1    2    Next >