Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What book?    

What book?

Zora
Canada

What book?

Now to all of us readers...

Can you remember which book started up your love of reading?

My book was "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe." - My second grade teacher read it to the class. We would put our heads on the table and just rested while she read the book to us.

When she finished that wonderful story, I ran out and got it from the library! I think that I �ve re-read this book at least ten times in my life and I still enjoy it enormously.

Linda

24 Mar 2010      

Ide_Bere
Mexico

As far as I remember, my mum used to pay me whenever I finished a book.... I started reaing Readers Digest magazine and moved on to complete books.

I read a lot in spanish, but when I read "To Kill a Mockingbird" in High school in english I was cought. I loved that book and I started reaing in English. I remember I was the only one who actually read the book from my class  and I don �t regret it.

I have to confess that I couldn �t read "Great expectations"... I started, but I didn �t finish... It is the only book which I started but I didn �t finish... but maybe now that I �m older I might like it...

Bere

24 Mar 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Dear Linda,

I love topics about books!

One of my favourites was A. Milne �s "Winnie-the-Pooh". I don �t remember how old I was and it was not my first book but I remember that I even bought a small notebook and wrote there quotes from the book. I had my favourite character and it was Eeyore because he was so miserable.

24 Mar 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Swedish writer Astrid Lindgren - Children of Bullerbyn. Even when I am older I come back to this book from time to time. And the next were Czech traditional fairy tales.

24 Mar 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hello everybody,

I have been into books since my childhood when I read legends of ancient Greece, legends about Slovak castles and about our national hero, J�no��k Wink... I wish today �s children read more.... I don �t know how �s this issue in your countries, but speaking from my experience, kids and youth of these days just don �t read...Unhappy

24 Mar 2010     

Mariethe House
France

I have sent you a pm, Linda.Hug

24 Mar 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi you all

I can �t tell you which book hooked me because I loved books even before I could read. I remember how much I was eager to learn how to read. I have a vivid memory of my mom on the phone taking notes and me looking at the notes and noticing the difference between the "t" and the "l". I remember going "oooohhh mommy forgot to put the line on some letters" and crossing her "l"s thinking they were "t"s.

I still love books, am still an avid reader both for myself and my students.

24 Mar 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

Hi you all,
Great topic,Linda!
I �ve been into books since I was a child.I used to read Reader Digest magazines (my father �s), Flash Gordon  , Sisi,Esther.... I liked legends and mythology too.There are two books I had to read when I was at High School that I will never forget:"Los Santos Inocentes(Miguel Delibes) and "La madre"(Gorki).I �m still very fond of reading .

24 Mar 2010     

serennablack
Portugal

The book that brings me the best childhood memories  is "A fada Oriana" (Oriana �s fairy) from Sophia de Mello Breyner Andersen. I think I always liked fairies and that one in particular taught me a valuable lesson: you should never abandon your friends nor your obligations or else you will end up sad and alone. Thanks for this nice topic, Linda...

24 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

I guess that, like a lot of language teachers here, reading was one of the earliest definable pleasures I remember - especially the feeling of fulfilment when you finished your first book that didn �t have any pictures in it. I also remember having to rush to the family dictionary (an old Chambers) every so often with a mix of anticipation and guilt.

The book I remember best as a kid, however, wasn �t the first (I vaguely remember the first one being set in Egypt and had the word �scarab � in the title), but something we originally listened to in primary school on the BBC Schools radio service. It was narrated by an actor - no frills but really atmospheric - and had everything a wee boy would want: sword fights, gunfights, adventure, suspense, drama, issues of loyalty and betrayal and (for me) a recognizable local historical background. So, that year, I chose �Kidnapped as my class prize, leather-bound with bible paper-fine pages, and I read it from cover to cover in a fortnight. I even gave up street football for that period so that I could finish it. Sadly, it fell into the Firth of Clyde during a rather stormy crossing the year after. Quite appropriate, I suppose...

Oh, and don �t get me started on comics... for me, a lifelong love and they were so much easier to hide!

By the way, I �m re-reading Neal Stephenson �s Snow Crash at the moment.

Regards,

Alex

24 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I �d have to say �Lod of the Rings � - I read it when I was seven and I remember reading with my torch under the covers because I couldn �t wait to finish it. I must have stayed up til five or six in the morning to find out if Frodo destroyed the ring!

24 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >