Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Happy Easter!    

Happy Easter!

marta v
Serbia

Happy Easter!

4 Apr 2010      

donapeter
Romania

Here we say: Jesus has resurrected! and the others answer the greeting : He really has resurrected! 
HAPPY EASTER!

4 Apr 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

The greeting in Cyprus is exactly the same as yours dear donapeter!!
-Jesus has resurrected!
-He really has resurrected!
HAPPY EASTER!

4 Apr 2010     

yanogator
United States

In the US, but only among religious people, it is
-Jesus is risen.
-He is risen indeed.
It is not a greeting that people would exchange on the street or at work, just in the churches.

Bruce

4 Apr 2010     

donapeter
Romania

We use Jesus is risen after 40 days from Easter. It makes a difference here: resurrection - at Easter, the rise - after 40 days from the Resurrection. I am not very good at this kind of things but we do it every year so...it �s in my blood! 
Am I right with this? 

4 Apr 2010     

yanogator
United States

Well, that would be his ascension into heaven, which is a "rise", but generally not the way we use the word here. For the resurrection, we say "He rose from the dead", because "resurrection" is not a very common word. Then, after 40 days, he ascended into heaven. We �re not so consistent here, because "ascend" isn �t an extremely common word, either.

So, you �re right, but it �s not the way the word is commonly used.

I love sharing information on this site, because, as teachers, you are all so eager to learn more about the language you teach. And believe me, there �s always more to learn!
Bruce

4 Apr 2010     

donapeter
Romania

A few more words before I leave to have the Easter lunch with my beloved in-laws (this is what i hate most about holidays ): here we are mostly orthodox and then catholics, so is not uncommon to greet on the street with a religious saying. The saying is old and we use it every time. We even write and send cards with this saying on them. We try to keep this holiday as religious as it takes and this is why we don �t have the Easter Bunny ( or if we have it , it is recent and it is taken from you- USA- as we take the language and the lessons containing such traditions Smile and adapt them for children and class use), egg hunt and other semi-religious traditions. 

PS . The Lent is very strict here- 40 days without eggs, meat, milk and cheese, no alcohol, no intimate activities. All the shops have special food in the period of Lent. 

4 Apr 2010     

Crazy fan
Belarus

The greeting in BELARUS )) is exactly the same as yours dear donapeter!!
-
Jesus has resurrected!
-He really has resurrected!
HAPPY EASTER, Dear ))!!

4 Apr 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

In Spain it �s not common to say Happy Easter. I first heard it in the US and it still shocks me to hear it. The fact is that Jesus died. It is a very sad time if you are deeply religious. It�s not my case, but I can understand it.

4 Apr 2010     

mariamit
Greece

In Greece, it �s exactly the same as in Romania, lent too.Maybe its the Orthodoxy of our religion. Having grown up in the US I tend to say Christ has risen . Although I don �t consider myself very religious I do it every year too Donapeter. The in-laws, too which I also hate. Still, as this is the most important holiday in most Orthodox religion I follow the customs.
@ Pilarmham  we say Happy Easter on Sunday- so techinically Jesus has risen. Isn �t it the same in Spain?

4 Apr 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

Hi, Mariamit
In Spain what has prevailed for many years is mourning and pain because Jesus died. In many Spanish cities there are parades which remember the suffering Jesus went through. Of course they take place on the days before Easter, what we call the Holy Week. But that is the image in my memory: sadness and grief. Never ever happiness of any kind. If anything, relief that He resurrected after he died for us.

4 Apr 2010     

1    2    Next >