Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > saying thank you    

saying thank you

ELOJOLIE274
France

saying thank you

is saying thank you that hard???

i posted 2 ws today, they didn �t get many downloads - i don �t mind - and they got 0 comments!!!
out of the 15 people who downloaded my work NO ONE said "thanks"!!!
why are people ungrateful! this is a sharing website, the least we could do when downloading something we like is saying thank you, don �t you think???

sorry for that post - i know some people say "thanks", i just wish everyone would do it...

have a nice day/evening!

Elodie

28 May 2010      

savvinka
Russian Federation

Hi, Elodie,

Don �t be so upset!  The other day one of the moderators explained the fact (when smb like you wrote the similar complaint to the forum) that not all the members of the site in all the countries have hi-tech comps capable to do all the operations. Have a nice weekend!
OlgaEmbarrassed 

28 May 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Dear Elodie,

Even though I do understand your anger, I �m starting to get a bit fed up with this kind of complaint. In spite of the fact that his topic has already been raised sooo often, nothing has changed!! Thumbs Down This means to me personally that there�s simply no point in posting any more messages about people�s behaviour. I have given up anyway!!

All I can tell you is that you should try to take the simple fact that your wss have been downloaded as a compliment! Wink

Have a great weekend - Silke

28 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

I don �t consider it a big deal and I never get annoyed about it - sometimes people leave comments, sometimes they don �t. It �s up to each individual to decide how they want to appreciate someone else �s work. for some, just downloading it is enough, others feel a comment is appropriate. I don �t see the point in complaining - would an obligatory comment make anyone feel better? Maybe it �s a technological problem, maybe it �s cultural - to be honest I just don �t care and find it far more annoying to read continuous complaints about it. I leave comments about 95% of the time because I want to. If I was told I always should then I �d be less likely to - maybe I �m contrary but that �s just the way it is.

Lindsey

28 May 2010     

a isabel
Portugal

Unfortunately I have to agree with Silke!Unhappy

28 May 2010     

silvanija
Lithuania

Well, there �s a comment box under each ws not a thank you one. Usually people can write a comment after they use a ws and they really know what to say.  I never have problems with saying "thank you" to those whose wss I download, but I also understand those who don �t leave them. I think that the initial idea of making the comment box wasn �t for saying thank you, no matter how pleasant is to receive it.  Perhaps, the number of points is meant to show how much our wss are useful and good.

28 May 2010     

starryargenta
United Kingdom

I agree with Silke too. If someone downloads a worksheet it is a great compliment in itself. I uploaded them because I want people to be able to access them freely and I do not expect anything in return. I would actually prefer it if people only left messages if they have a particular point to make - for example if they used it and it went well in class, or maybe if they used it in a different way from suggested or have ideas for improvements.
Wonderful site - keep up the good work everyone!Star

28 May 2010     

frenchfrog
France

Elodie, have a look at this post and its author: http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=17279 Wink

28 May 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Dear Laurence,

What do you want to express with your post?

I posted my last message regarding part of this topic on March 8...

However, my post was mainly about praising the "top" contributors at ESLP, not just about leaving a THANK YOU note in general.

And as I said today I don �t see any point in posting any more messages about people�s behaviour since nothing will change, will it? ;))

But at least I have learnt something: it �s absolutely useless to try to change some people �s manners!!

Best wishes - Silke

28 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

Can I suggest that we stop this kind of forum topic. I �m sorry if it makes people angry when they don �t get comments on their worksheets but the comment function isn �t obligatory - it �s just if you feel particularly grateful or want to point something out. You wouldn �t force someone to criticise a printable - why should they then be obliged to thank someone for it.

When I first moved to Spain, I was incredibly British - please and thank you all the time. I was told that the reason it wasn �t done in Spain was that to always be thanking someone or saying please was considered false - that it shouldn �t be automatic, it should be heartfelt. I �m sure this isn �t the only culture where thanks aren �t given as standard so can we please(!) stop assuming that those who don �t post a comment are rude or ungrateful. Some people have previously cited computer problems as a reason and this is certainly true for me when I download from work rather than at home. People might be in a hurry or just not the type to do it.

Accept it or not, but stop complaining about it please!

Lindsey

Edit: I don �t get the link posted Frenchfrog - what �s it got to do with this thread?

28 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Lindsey,

Agree with you totally on every count. Incidentally, when I first moved to Spain, I took great exception to the expression �dime! � (especially in bars).  Actually, I still have a problem with that - it sounds like "Hey, talk to me!" (as if I �m trying to punt a screenplay to some seedy scumbag Hollywood agent) - but I now realise that �s the way it is here - there �s no offence intended.

Oh, and I don �t get FF �s link either.

29 May 2010     

1    2    3    Next >