Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

lshorton99
China

Word of the Day

Hi Everyone

Substitute word of the day is back again!

Today �s word is: nugatory

Remember - intelligent guesses and unintelligent guesses are equally welcome but no cheating and actually looking up the word! Please don �t post any dictionary definitions until everyone has had a chance to guess!

Thanks a lot - enjoy the game!

Lindsey

23 Aug 2010      

baiba
Latvia

This is easy!
Nugatory is a special stand in the cafes where you can help yourself to sweet and tasty nougat (simplified to nuga).

23 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Nugatory is where all Nugs go when they die - unfortunately it is Nug Hell.  

23 Aug 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Pointedly avoid a member of the British Conservative Party (from �nug � - the negative form of �hug �)

No nugs!

23 Aug 2010     

douglas
United States

in small amounts (nuggets)

or (similar to Liberty �s thoughts) purgatory for nugs

23 Aug 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Morning everyone...

Yummy...sweets....nougat...

23 Aug 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Is it when you replace the opening section of your fence?

Or a specialty take-away shop where you can buy those horrible chicken nuggets? (Sorry if you like them) Which bit of the chicken is its nugget anyway?

23 Aug 2010     

donapeter
Romania

I don �t know what Nugatory is. (My first thought was as Libertybelle said: place somewhere near Purgatory ,but made for Nugs only LOL

Well my question is somehow related with Apodo �s post: is nugget a piece of chicken? Can it be a piece of other animal, too? i looked it up in the dictionary and I didn �t find anything related to food. 
So?? Pls!

23 Aug 2010     

Zora
Canada

OMG! A nugatory must be where "nougat" is made!!! LOL

23 Aug 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

Hi all!!

I really love Libertybelle �s definition.LOL

Lindsey, you �re a great substitute word .Clap

Nugatory

Etymology: Latin nugatorius, from nugari to trifle, from nugae trifles.Origin: 1595�1605

Synonyms:    * Trivial, insignificant, frivolous,useless, inoperative.

Adjective:

* Of no real value; trifling; worthless.

* Of no force or effect; ineffective; futile; vain.

* Not valid.

Top 10 nugatory things we say (by Sharalyn Hartwell)

We all say things sometimes that are kind of meaningless. Over time we overuse phrases to the point they are actually inconsequential (basically the definition of nugatory).

10.  Any Web site touting their �new� social networking feature. (Really? How many Facebooks can we have?)

9.  �I�ll start my diet on Monday.� (If you say that, you are probably never going to.)

8.  �But it�s diet/fat-free!� (Whatever makes you feel better � chances are whatever you are about to consume isn�t that good for you. The term diet or fat-free doesn�t make it healthy. But we certainly feel better when say that).

7.  �It is what it is.� (We hear this one way too much in a business setting. Sure it is, so just drop it and move on.)

6.  �Needless to say.� (If it�s needless, then don�t say it.)

5.  �She�s/He�s sweet, but�� (The but says it all, no need to attempt to sugar coat it, with weak imitation Splenda-sugar no less, by saying he/she is sweet.)

4.  �We should get together sometime.� And the statement ends there. (If you wanted to get together, you would select a time and do it. No one means this when said that way.)

3.  Prefacing or ending a statement with �Bless his/her heart.� (It doesn�t really make what you just said more polite.)

2.  The immediate, knee-jerk �No!� response when you ask your boyfriend if your pants make you look fat. (Of course he�s going to say that, what else can he say? You�re not dating a dummy. You can�t trust that as a response with any validity.)

1.  LOL! (We use it so much, there is no way you are literally laughing out loud each time you write it.)

Hope this post isn�t a nugatory one!!Ermm If it�s too long , just tell me and I�ll delete it.

Have a nice Monday!!Hug

23 Aug 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi
I bet Linda is right, must be a kind of tree that gives delicious nougats.
May be, also, hope not, the tree that gives the so hated chicken nuggets. I think the only chicken they �ve got is the name. LOL

Edit: Hi, Ana Isabel, we crossed post,I think.

23 Aug 2010     

1    2    3    Next >