Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

franknbea
United Kingdom

Ditku, It �s perfectly fine, it �s turning out quite funny as it isThumbs Up

19 Sep 2010     

stefemma
France

Is it a synonym for memory loss????? Wink

19 Sep 2010     

lshorton99
China

floccinaucinihilipilification is a synonym for �d�j� vu �!!!

Lindsey

19 Sep 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

floccinaucinihilipilification - means a word I would never want to encounter in one of my classses.

19 Sep 2010     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

floccinaucinihilipilification - well, I think it �s a drug, a kind of injection you get, so you will remember everything you have done (posts with words of the day included) LOL

Or not? Ermm

Maybe it will make you ask your neighbour what �s the name of that beautiful red flower with thorns, because you don �t remember the name of your wife anymore... "Oh,yes, rose...  Rose, where are you, darling?"Geek

LOLLOLLOL

19 Sep 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

OK, I never saw the previous posting of this word, I would surely remember having seen it before, even though I am not sure I would be able to say it! The only thing I recognize in it would be nihilification - the trifling, or �making into nothing �
other words I might find in it are cinical or cinema? That leaves �floccinau � ???? that might be the name of a French scriptwriter.....?
so that gets me to writing a devastating review of Floccinau �s work, the kind that really tears it to shreds....

19 Sep 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Ouch! You mercyless lotEmbarrassed
ribbing me incessantly about forgetting Wacko
now... where was i? Oh yeah! I was away when Lindsey posted itAngry
other wise I have a very good Hmmm, mmm, What �s that thing called again?
Oh Yeah! Memory, I have a very good memory.... Where was I again?... Hmmm...
I �m a little floccinaucinihilipilificated today that �s allConfused

19 Sep 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

It is the breakdown of languages through the nihilistic actions of certain members of ESLP.

19 Sep 2010     

donapeter
Romania

Floccin (drug/medicine) +Aucini (the name of the inventor) + hill (the place where Aucini had the idea of the drug- as Newton with the apple and the tree!!!!)  + pilification (suffix that means the action of that drug which was invented by Aucini when standing on a certain hill) .

floccinaucinihilipilification= the action of what i �ve just explained above.

Wink
 Ok! I �m D, and I approve this message!!!! LOL

PS: Frank, are there any winners in this contest? I don�t know....the funniest explanation , the wisest example, the most non-realistic answer...or something? 

19 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Dona, I personally think it �s not such a good idea to make a competition out of this funny game, because - of course - native speakers certainly have a big advantage over us other teachers... I �m pretty sure that this fact puts some members off joining in the fun!

19 Sep 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >