Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help     

Help

freddy
Portugal

Help

Hi! What do you usually say to your students at the end of the lesson?

Is it correct to say: You �can pack up and leave!

And how do they ask me if they can do this?

Thanks!!

6 Nov 2010      

nasnous
Tunisia

Hi,
I always ask my pupils if they have any question about the lesson (I mean if there is something not clear) and then I tell them "see you next time".

6 Nov 2010     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

You are right, Freddy, it �s correct to say �You can pack up and leave. � but it �s even better to say �You may pack up and leave. � and students may ask �May we pack up and leave? �
I usually say things like:
~ Did you have fun today?
~ See you next time.
(my classes usually end abruptly, due to lack of time, and trying to fit in as much as possible!)
cheers

6 Nov 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You can also say: "You may go"
"You are dismissed"
"Have a nice day"- that �s how I usually say goodbye to my students.
Smile
Sophia

6 Nov 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I tell them to clean up their desks and get in line. When it �s time to let them leave the class, I tell them goodbye or any parting expressions.

6 Nov 2010     

Yams
Argentina

I tell my students  "get ready, you �re free to go, see you next claaaass!!!"

I say that very very quickly, and like a chant, although it doesn �t rhyme; they laugh at the way I say it. It �s fun so they remember my farewell as years pass by.....
Take care

Yams

6 Nov 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Put you things away and you can go.

�Pack up and leave � sounds to me what someone would do if they were angry.

I would also say the using �may � is very formal, I wouldn �t use that level of formality with my kids. But that �s just me.

6 Nov 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I agree with dawnmain. �may � is just not used as much any more...it �s considered rather formal.
I often say to my students what my dentist used to say: "ok you can escape now".
I also have a sign which says �class over � and I just silently hold that up to the students amusement.
When I �m feeling lazy I just say �Bye... �
You �ve probably gathered I am a bit of a crazy teacher but I (and the students) love it.
From Joy here downunder.

6 Nov 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i just say see you tomorrow.   and for the smallest kids  i end the class with a goodbye song

6 Nov 2010     

class centre
Belarus

I say "thank you very much for your hardgood work. The lesson is over.See you next time"
Sometimes when the lesson was too serious I say - if you want to go home, just  say something in good English, correctly and you may be dismissed. If not. you �ll have to stay here overnight))) They just love it. I come up to each one of them, they say something and I dismiss them one by one.
Hope it helps you

6 Nov 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Check this list! Very useful!
http://www.usingenglish.com/articles/big-list-ending-lesson-language.html

Here you can get lists for all kinds of classroom language.
http://www.tefl.net/alexcase/tefl/big-big-classroom-language/

6 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >