Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Do we really create original ws or PowerPoints?    

Do we really create original ws or PowerPoints?

roneydirt
United States

Do we really create original ws or PowerPoints?

I started this topic.  Now some view it as argumentative or complaining.  It is neither.  It is more about creating thoughts and ideas.

We are not inventing the wheel.  We are taking what we have learned and adding our own personal twist as technology advances to use as a teaching tool.  Yet some think we have created the wheel and not realized we have only used stuff we have either been taught or viewed and then add our own little touch.  This is just basic psychology.  But as we create our ws and PowerPoints even if it is old materials being rehashed with a new twists it is actually opening our minds to expand our minds creating new synapsis in our mind which will eventually expand our next generation to use more of their brain.  It is already being shown scientifically.

As for saying I shouldn �t talk since I only have a few ws and PowerPoints uploaded.  I personnally don �t think most of my stuff is appropriate to post since they are mostly cut and paste jobs.  I download a lot of materials and then put them into their objective folders and when I need something open several of those documents and pull from a variety of sources to make a new one that will be more effective for the type of students are going to be in that class.  I work in several offices and schools and most don �t have internet access in them so download as much as possible and you can find me in the offices or on the subway pulling items from different ws or PowerPoints to make new ones to use in the different types of classes I teach.  I will pull a couple and post on here after making them more "original" with my own pictures to make my critics a little happier.

21 Feb 2011      

mrlypy
Brazil

That�s great Roney! I totally agree.

21 Feb 2011     

lshorton99
China

Hi Roney

I know you �ve been here long enough to know the rules of the forum - don �t start a new thread when replying to a previous topic - yet this is the second time in the past week you have started a new thread to continue your previous point.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=26491

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=26548

I understand that it must be frustrating when you have a point to make and people disagree with you but continuing to bring up the same issue again and again won �t help.

Lindsey

21 Feb 2011     

melahel7
Canada

Well said Lindsey.

21 Feb 2011     

roneydirt
United States

The definition of original before it was changed paraphrased: Something that is done that has never been seen or done before.

Nice book to read "The History of the Education System."    Here are some texts to view

Education is a political tool and has changed from one form to another over the decades/centuries.  Yet the real voices (the teachers) have been silent throughout most of these changes.  We are patted on the back for originality.  Can I really say what I have posted is original.  I don �t really think so.  All I did was use modern technology to update or combine lessons that have already been done and life experiences in a new format to reach the new generation.  The benefit is expanding my mind and those of our students to be able to use a larger portion of our brains as each generation arrives.  At one point in our evolution we only used the primal portion of our brain, next came basic grunts to words for communication, then came the written word.  From there we expanded and as we expanded we started using more of our brain functions.  Imagine what our children �s children will be in intelligence as we continue our expansion.  But as we grow we continue to use prior knowledge and experience to create materials to teach to the next generation.  So can we really call it original or use another more proper term?  We have expanded the old materials with as I like to call it "a new twist" to share what we are teaching to the next generation.

Lindsey as you may know we live on a world with different time zones.  I am seeking additional responses so I can gather additional information to formulate and re-evaluate my thoughts on the subjects I bring up.  Basically re-educating my thinking to be a better teacher.  I teach pre-school to university level students.  This discussion was actually initially brought up by one of my university classes, so seeking answers and other points of views on the subject before the next class begins.

21 Feb 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Relunctantly, I tried to read yet another post of yours... I confess it was mere skimming. It �s interesting how you managed to enlight us that, I quote, we �re not inventing the wheel. I must say that it came to me as a shock. I was under the impression we had discovered fire as well.

21 Feb 2011     

donapeter
Romania

Roney, this is why I gave up uploading wss!!!!!!!!! People ask/claim too much from the contributors,in general, and I purely can �t manage to be perfect. 
If people increase the number of rules and if they keep asking for originality, the contributors will give up uploading here. 
And I don �t understand why some people even ask for the these things.......It sounds to me something like:People , common, upload some high quality wss here cos I NEED quality for my students(and I cannot make it) and I am so tired to see the same contributions every day. 
And how come people with hundred of thousands of points never ask for originality and difference, they just contribute....... 

@Bruna.....Dear, I invented the fire. Don�t tell anyone!

21 Feb 2011     

zailda
Brazil

@roney: I think there �s a reason for a thread to disappear after a certain time, and it may be: to make space for other people to voice their opinions, ask for help or the like.

When a thread "vanishes" from the main page, if it interests people they will still engage in it clicking on the "hot topics" link that we find on the botton of the page.

If a thread doesn �t interest many people, sending it again and again to the main page won �t change that, I think you �ll get more and more aggressive responses.

But you don �t really care about that, do you?

21 Feb 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Zailda this is only the second post of this question.  The other two that Lindsey put up only talked about review your worksheets before posting for mistakes and limiting pushing our religion/politics on others in our contributions.  So saying that I am continually reposting is disturbing.  I even mention that it was for my University students, but guess most missed that since it was in the response to Lindsey.  I thought it best using myself as the questionaire on the philosophy question would be safer for those that are also seeking that answer.  Thought this was an education site to ask questions even some that can be labeled taboo questions, especially if we have students asking it or do we ignore them?  I just didn �t mention my class at the beginning because I wanted unbias answers even if they were in anger.  The question came up because out of 394 papers only one was not plagerized which is a common problem in the current country I am in.  The local professors don �t even view it as plagarism since the student put their name on it and copied and pasted pieces from a variety of documents. 

Maybe I should ask the question using preschool English. 

Here is a list of the classes I teach from preschool to university:
Longman English Club preschool, primary
Beeno 1, 3 and 5
Hip Hip Hooray 1, 5
Side by Side 2, 3
Hong Kong English 5th grade (not in Hong Kong but the students are from there)
Inside out 2, 3 (middle and high school)
English in Mind 2, 3 (middle and high school)
high school (reading club)
AP World History 7th and 10th grade
IELTs Review
Overview Ethics and Philosophy of English teaching
History of Education (Western Views)

21 Feb 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

I think we DO create original worksheets. Maybe some parts are recycled old ideas, but if you have a look at the worksheet as a whole, it is a new stuff.

If all teachers were pessimistic or overly anxious about the originality and creativity, there would be no textbooks such as Inside out, Headway, Project, Side by Side etc.

It is a matter of common sense. I cannot copy-paste, but I can "borrow" an old idea and work with my own topics/grammar and make a "new" worksheet.

Stealing is not ok, inspiration is ok and stating the sources is highly recommended ;-)

"It is better to try and lost than never to try at all."

21 Feb 2011     

nikabike
Vietnam

Why are you always complaining?
If you do not like my ws, do not download them.
If you find a mistake, please let me know.

Relax and enjoy.

21 Feb 2011     

1    2    Next >