Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > My students are evil    

My students are evil

carinita
Argentina

My students are evil

Not all students...only the group of students that are 13 years old
I think about all the things I learnt during my teaching training career and I realize I don �t have a cue of what to do with those human beings
They are extremely chatty when they should and when they shouldn �t as well
I spend most of the time of the class preaching "you �re in secondary school" "be responsible" "respect school rules" etc etc
Today, it was my third lesson I attempted to teach them some sounds in english...I started with /a:/ for them to repeat and they yelled out loud!!!...I thought I was going to get the sack!!!
They followed instructions which involved physical movement well though
If I recollect moments of the previous lessons, I feel there �s little learning going on but I know that it �s too soon to arrive to any conclusion
I need a pat on my shoulder, please Embarrassed he he

P.S. A phrase from my student days that may be suitable for this situation is "Sometimes the problem is not YOU it �s THEM

15 Mar 2011      

leelei
Denmark

yes, i agree, they are horrible creatures

15 Mar 2011     

aloga
Spain

I wouldn �t say mine are evil, but they (not all of them, of course) are bad-mannered, speak when they should �t and don �t speak when they should.
Stay calm, take a deep breath, be patient! Cheer up and good luck!

15 Mar 2011     

carinita
Argentina

leelei!!! Tongue
aloga aha...take it easy...if I get angry, I lose

15 Mar 2011     

karina7777
Denmark

You know, in my experience it �s all about relations... You �ve only been teaching this group three times - don �t think that it �s going to stay like this.
Often the kids that are annoying at first are the ones that just make my day again and again once we get to know each other.. Smile

And then something really important - try to gather the strength to "will" yourself to like them. It really, really works.... Before class, take a few moments to fill yourself with good expectations. Smile. Visualize a great lesson - and FEEL how happy you are about the lesson.

When my little sister became a teacher 3 years ago, I was telling her the same kind of things. Back then, she just laughed cynically and thought I was an over-positive hippie - but I heard her giving someone the same piece of advice recently Tongue

It WILL get better, dear Carinita!

: ) Karina

15 Mar 2011     

karina7777
Denmark

Oh, and something else: I think it �s only natural to get angry sometimes. Just stay calm although you �re angry - if you lose control over yourself, you lose.
Don �t shout!
I think being firm and setting boundaries is extremely important. And again, doing so only gets easier with time. Do your best now and just keep telling yourself that you �re doing the hard work now and it �s going to get better and better...
: )

15 Mar 2011     

carinita
Argentina

I �ve already raised my voice!!! Unhappy
I�m a bit shy person I don�t do it often...neither in the classroom nor out of it

15 Mar 2011     

alien boy
Japan

I also sometimes use a silent approach... don �t say anything. just give them time to settle down. 
What happens at lunch or recess time? I write �Lost Time � on the board at the start of class, before I even start for the day. Some of the students will read it & some may even ask what it means... 
I �ve arranged with their home room teacher that I can/will join the class so that after eating they stay with me in their classroom rather than having fun to make up for any �Lost Time � in the classroom.
Obviously, is the class is good, then you owe them! so maybe you can give them an activity or a video or contemporary music video (English, of course) during a class.

Just an idea. Be patient, it �ll take a few lessons for them to get into the swing of it. Make sure the entire class gets the benefits & punishment - you can use the class themselves to keep order. They �re all growing up & looking for some autonomy in their decisions too, so give them a little leeway...

Cheers,
AB

15 Mar 2011     

karina7777
Denmark

Oh, of course you have - so have I! : )  When I said "if you lose control/shout, you lose", I certainly didn �t mean that you �ve then lost, period. I just personally feel that if I end up shouting, I �ve "lost" that situation. I �ve allowed the pupil to "trigger" me - so then the pupil is in control instead of me.  I don �t know if I get my meaning through right now, am tired!  : )

15 Mar 2011     

carinita
Argentina

ok alien... my objective is to indirectly guide the group so that they can keep a good learning atmosphere

15 Mar 2011     

carinita
Argentina

I understand, Karina, and I �ll try your visualization technique In my case, I �m not tired...I just need 4 months vacations!!

15 Mar 2011     

1    2    Next >