Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Ethics: What would you do?    

Ethics: What would you do?

Mar0919
Mexico

Ethics: What would you do?

Hi, all! Hope you �ve all had a great beginning of the week! Well... I �d like to hear some opinions on this topic: Ethics 

Some of us  teach for a living, some have other jobs, and teaching is not their main source of income or only teach privately, which I assume is some extra money.
Well, for me, it �s my main income, my only income. I work in 2 private schools, and I have always thought that our best cover letter is our work.

At the moment, I started looking for options for next school year because I �m not really comfortable or satisfied at the schools where I currently work. Although I tend to get "too involved" and it makes it hard for me to quit and go elsewhere. I always think that I should be grateful for the opportunity that was given to me to work in X school. Obviously, due to my work, in most places I �ve been, I �ve quickly been promoted, etc, and my professional growth has been constant.

Well, my problem is that although I �ve started looking for new opportunities for next school year, which, by the way, I have found, right now at this moment, I was called and offered a job in another school, but it �s to start immediately. The pay is better than where I am at, but they want me NOW. The salary is veeeeeeery tempting, as I said, I work for a living, I need the $$$....... but...... I don �t feel right just dumping my other 2 schools, at this time of the year, it would be very hard for them to find another teacher to take over my groups, and I also think about my students, it would definitely affect them.

I have the interview tomorrow to say if I accept the job or not. I �ve thought of sadly declining, saying thank you, but no.

What should I do??? What would you do????

29 Mar 2011      

Riphly
United States

Trust me, they �ll find a new teacher almost instantly.
Your reasons for moving onward and upward are respectable: better income, less travel?
There have been unbeknown to you, numerous applications and resumes submitted to the school �s personnel department. The applicants have been refused but the resumes are often held for �future reference �. I was suddenly informed 15 days ago that a department change would end my yearly renewable contract (once renewed already). I found 3 full time openings in public schools and secured one last Friday. There �s ALWAYS someone (unless, perhaps, you �re in Fukushima, Sendai or Ibaraki.

29 Mar 2011     

dturner
Canada

That �s a difficult problem.  I see what you are saying, and in your position I would be feeling the same.  I think however, you must think of yourself and your future and not as much about the others.  You will have a very good sense of the situation after the acceptance or declination meeting.  Go with your gut feeling.  What do you think about this new job.  Will it be better (not necessarily only in money) but in other intangible things.  This is your future, and you are who should be looking out for yourself.  If you feel really good about the job -- take it.  Opportunities are to be grabbed.  Good luck. 

29 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

I definitely agree with Riphly, especially if it will mean having only one job, rather than the two you have now. If so, it will give you the ability to devote more time to the students at one school.
I would have trouble leaving my students during a term, but I know the school will be able to find a replacement (probably of lower quality than you, but definitely sufficient) very quickly.

Bruce

29 Mar 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, Riphly, dturner and Yanogator, for your opinions! ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

To be or not to be....... LOL!!!

29 Mar 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

Dear Mar,

I know it must be a difficult decision to make and as Rithly and Yanggastor says you got to way up the pros and cons of each position,

The way I see this decision is what are the pros for moving and excepting this new job?

I believe the pros are only one job to go to everyday, more money meaning more shopping time!

Your statement says your not feeling comfortable or satisfied at the schools where you currently work.
Well move on don �t be in a job that makes you unhappy or not satisfied with.

Cons.....
if you was to leave without acceptable notice It doesn �t give a good reference for future job �s as they will see you as not being
reliable.

Go to the interview and tell them you are ready to make the 100% commitment to start your position � �BUT � � you need to give your current employers a reasonable notice of leaving.
I think two weeks� notice is okay for any employer to make plans in getting someone to fill the position you are leaving from.

And say to the new employers how would they feel if you had to leave them without any notice to give them and left them with the situation of replacing you at short notice.
Believe me they will listen to you on that note. If they don�t then It�s not the place for you to work at!!!

GOOD LUCK.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

29 Mar 2011     

Mariethe House
France

"And say to the new employers how would they feel if you had to leave them without any notice to give them and left them with the situation of replacing you at short notice.
Believe me they will listen to you on that note." (quote REdbull)

totally agree on that one!!Smile

29 Mar 2011     

class centre
Belarus

Dear Mar,
it �s wonderful that you are inited to a better school!
Don �t hesitate whether to accept it or not. If a teacher falls ill for a month or more, what will the school do? They will find a substitute somehow. Don �t worry about them. Your future is your responsibility.
But REDBULL is absolutely right - tell the new employer that you need al least a week to inform your previous school. That will also show your responsibility to the new administration.
Good luck!
Tell us how it will go  OK?

29 Mar 2011     

douglas
United States

Are you sure this school is reliable and the job will be long-term?  You are taking a big chance by leaving in the middle of the year--it could cause you big problems if you have to look for another job later.  "Why didi you levae your other jobs in the middle of th eschool year?"  "More money."  "Okay, the interview is over.  I need someone I can rely on." 

Sorry Mar, but it is something that has to be considered.

Douglas

29 Mar 2011     

yetigumboots
Germany

If I were you I would accept the offer of the new job on the condition that you can only start at the beginning of the next school term. Explain to them that you value the fact that you should give the proper notice to the schools where you are working now. If they see that you care about doing things the right way it is also a guarantee for them that you won �t run off and take the next better offer again. They obviously know your qualities so if they say no to that then you are better off staying where you are. Simple Smile

I wish you all the best. Hugs Yeti xx

29 Mar 2011     

Zora
Canada

Now, I admit I am not the greatest of negotiators but... maybe you should mention to your schools that you �ve been offered another job elsewhere with better pay, etc and see what happens. They might surprise you and offer you a raise to stay and more hours. You could make it seem as if you were undecided (if they don �t offer better, then do get out... obviously, you are expendable to them.) and not sure what to do...

This is what I �d do. Simply because I think that you are like me. I feel for the kids. I hate the thought of leaving and letting them down BUT I �ve learn that in life, you need to look after yourself.

Hugs,
Linda

29 Mar 2011     

1    2    Next >