Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > We shouldn ´t say "I have a doubt"    

We shouldn ´t say "I have a doubt"

Yolandaprieto
Spain

We shouldn ´t say "I have a doubt"

Some native members have said several times that they don �t use the expression "I have a doubt" but I HAVE A QUESTION. We usually translate it literally from our own language and we shouldn �t or we should try to avoid it. Am I right?
Yolanda

29 Mar 2011      

libertybelle
United States

You are totally correct.

We say:

I am IN doubt about something 
I have a question
I �m not sure about something
could you clarify something for me
I �m confused about how to say....

So there are lots of alternatives.
(probably more - I just can �t think of more at the moment)

Hope this helps

L

29 Mar 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

It �s very common to hear students say  "I have a doubt" to mean "I have a question".  These students are Spanish speakers and therefore are translating the phrase "Tengo una duda", which is very common in Spanish. Saying just "I have a doubt" is unusual in English when someone  has a question.

Saying "I have a doubt about �something � is okay and good.

There are other correct uses of the word "doubt":

(be) in doubt about sth (= feel unsure): �Is anyone I doubt about what they �re supposed to be doing? � �If you �re in any doubt about your child �s safety, talk to your doctor.

However, it is more common to say "I �m not sure" or "I �m uncertain" about something.

without doubt = �I firmly believe this to be true �; �He"fs without doubt one
of the greatest composers the world has ever IInown. �
no doubt = �I expect � or �I suppose �: �No doubt you could do with a drink. �
�They will no doubt be writing to us again.

there is no doubt that (NOT it is ... ): �There is no doubt that the number of casualties would have escalated had it not been for UN intervention. �

There is no doubt that is usually used in formal styles when you want to persuade someone that what you are saying is true: �There is no doubt that the present government has lost a great deal of support. �
This phrase is sometimes used when a �lighter � expression (e.g. of
course, obviously, clearly, certainly, needless to say) or nothing at all
would be more natural.

When doubt is used to express certainty or near certainty, it is usually
followed by a that-clause: �There �s no doubt that he �s innocent. � �I �ve no
doubt that he �s innocent. � �I �m in little doubt that he �s innocent. � �I don �t
doubt that he �s innocent. � In this meaning, doubt is used with a negative
word, e.g. not/nollittle/not much.
When doubt means �think that something is unlikely �, it is usually followed by if/whether: �I doubt whether he �s innocent. � (= I think that he is probably guilty) �She doubts whether she �ll be able to come on
Sunday. �
Note that some people may also say �I doubt that he �s innocent �, but
careful users regard this as incorrect.

have (your) doubts about (doing) sth = feel unsure whether something
is true or the right thing to do: �We have our doubts about sending Kevin
to a boarding school. � �Any doubts she �d had about marrying him soon
disappeared. �

29 Mar 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Native speakers in my neck of the woods use doubt in numerous expressions, some of which Liz has pointed out, but never I have a doubt to mean having a question. It is simply not correct.

Nor have I ever heard my students use it and I have students from many countries in my classes, including from Latin American countries.  [Mind you, they don�t really say I have a question either.  They usually say "how (do) you say ..." ]

They might be understood if they do say I have a doubt but do you prefer to teach them the way used by NSs or the literal translation used by NNSs?  I teach English in an English speaking country. Therefore I teach the former because they will be communicating daily with NSs in all facets of everyday life but maybe the latter is more appropriate for your situation. What do other teachers in your situation do? Their opinions can help you decide what you will do.

29 Mar 2011     

douglas
United States

doubt (noun):
[uncountable, countable] a feeling of being uncertain about something or not believing somethinga feeling of doubt and uncertainty

From me: 

Doubt is both a verb and a noun and it is countable and uncountable. In its countable noun  form it IS possible to "have a doubt" or to "have some doubts"(example: "That is without a doubt the best pizza I have ever eaten." or " I have my doubts about her qualifications.").

It is not wrong to say " I have a doubt about something", however this statement is not used to indicate you are looking for an answer to something.  If you are looking for an answer to something the proper staement is "I have a question."

It is just as possible to have a doubt (or doubts) about something as it is to be "in doubt" about something.

Douglas

29 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

If in doubt, check it out:

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-192539.html

http://painintheenglish.com/case/3315

I �m not sure these sites will clarify anything or leave you in more doubt.

29 Mar 2011     

Jayho
Australia

I see your point Douglas but do you say I have a doubt ... or do you say I have some/my doubts .... 

Personally, without a doubt I doubt that I have a doubt is  everyday usage, in my neck of the woods anyway, and NSs will undoubtedly use something else instead such as  I have some/my doubts ....; I doubt it etc

Doubt my words, this is just my two cents worth, for what it�s worth, which without a doubt, is undoubtedly not very much these days

Yours undoubtedly, or is it Undoubtedly yours, Jayho

29 Mar 2011     

roneydirt
United States

We don �t use "a doubt" in the avenue you and the original poster stated. 

but here are a couple ways we might use it.
I have some doubts.  I have my doubts that the answer is correct.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.  Ed seem to have some good links and Liz had some good comments to expand in other areas.

29 Mar 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Thank you, my dear friends, I �m learning a lot from you!
Jayho what does "in my neck of the woods" mean? I like it!
Ciao.
Mariannina

29 Mar 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Well, I think it is very clear that in the context I put it, we cannot use that expression. So let �s see if we learn from our mistakes and avoid using it in the forum constantly.
My best wishes to all of you
Yolanda

29 Mar 2011     

memthefirst
Turkey

In Oxford Collocations dictionary 2002 on page 237 it says VERB+DOUBT =........,have
I �m still confused :(

29 Mar 2011     

1    2    Next >