Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The Whiner...excuse me...the Weiner...uhm pardon..The Winner of WOD    

The Whiner...excuse me...the Weiner...uhm pardon..The Winner of WOD

edrodmedina
United States

The Whiner...excuse me...the Weiner...uhm pardon..The Winner of WOD

I have to say that I spent a good half hour writing some great and witty stuff (just think some of my really good stuff, then multiply it by 10) to say here and when I went to post it poof, it disappeared. Maybe the gods that be didn�t want me saying what I had in mind. So below is the second and tamer version of what I wrote.

Some have stated (and I won�t mention any names Liz and Mariethe) that the game has become somewhat stale. Being the open minded guy I am, I�m willing to entertain other suggestions inferior to mine  as they may be. Friends the game is ours, if it continues or not is up to those who wish to participate or not (although I still believe Victor should make it mandatory).

When Frank Bea (we miss u Frank) introduced the game it was meant to be fun. If it becomes less than that then it dies.

I�ve chosen thedropper (his/her entry is here ) to continue the game. Maybe he/she (I don�t mean to imply that he/she is transgendered, I have no clue from the name) will incorporate some of his/her ideas and others that have been made. So thedropper the word is in your court. Oh by the way our word STEATOPYGIC means: to have a fat butt (much like Alien Boy).

15 Jul 2011      

Mariethe House
France

LOL

I just love the way you write Ed! So please: Post and post and post! Stop teaching don �t bother about making ws..We �ll ask Victor to appoint you for afull time job entertaining the forum!
Allow an old lady to give you a big Hug

15 Jul 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

sorry dear ed, but i didnt say that.... i especifically said that the game was boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring. nothing less, nothing more.   have a wonderful day...

15 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Hey Liz... Everything I said here was tongue in cheek. I know you said it was boooooooooooooooooring and Mariethe said it was stale. Only Kidding. I didn �t mean to upset anyone.

15 Jul 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

The trouble is that non-native speakers have little chances of winning because their command of the language just isn �t sufficient to create those witty, ingenious, brilliant texts people like Les and Ed come up with .. I sometimes found that frustrating and wished I could use my mother tongue for the game!

Clever, witty, ironic,  ingenious,tongue-in-cheek, playful  use of language is something that comes VERY LATE in the process of learning a foreign language... and that painfully separates us poor second-language-sods from you enviable happy divine  first-language-speakers!

15 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

You are absolutely right Elderberry. Perhaps thedropper will take the game in a different direction wherein more of our colleagues will participate. Ed

15 Jul 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

lol ed, i am coool with that, i dont know maybe  i am tripping in ketchup. LOL

15 Jul 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Elderberry, and Everyone else.

I agree that it is difficult to write extremely witty remarks in a foreign tongue.

But Elderberry, there is no Rule that says that you are confined to writing ONLY English.  From my point of view, (and that of the Germans, Austrians, Swiss, Luxemburgers, bilinguists, etc. who are in ESLP), please, feel free to use the occasional German word, joke, Witz, or whatever.  The Spanish speakers use their language frequently!  I often write occasional words in a foreign language, as I did on WOD today.

I think that it is a pity, "Wie Schade", "Quelle Fromage", "Wat Jammer", etc. that the Winner is often the same person, again and again!

Am I pleased to be chosen the Winner?  Yes!  I am!  I think that it is a great honour!

However, speaking personally, I do not want to be chosen frequently, because I am always so busy!  I do not have the time to check the Forum every few minutes.

Moreover, I want to see the baton passed from Member to Member.  For some Members, to win, is similar to receiving a gift of �1 million.

I recall one Private Message which I received fom a Winner who was OVERJOYED to be chosen!

So, please, can we give different Members a chance to be the Winner?

Just imagine what a thrill it must be to win, for a Member who lives in some deserted South American school in the mountains! (for example).  Just imagine how proud of their Teacher the students must be!  Just imagine what a gift that little community has received from ESLP!  For a little while, they are the centre of the Universe.

A silly little Game like "Word of the Day" brings so much happiness into the world.

Please, think about it.

Les

15 Jul 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Quelle bonne id�e Les, elderberry de s �exprimer dans notre propre langue! Nous faisons des progr�s en anglais gr�ce � nos "native speakers" ; eh bien , c �est � leur tour de s �am�liorer dans les autres langues et de faire quelques efforts! Bisous � tous! Vous �tes des anges et aussi certains , des petits diables Wink

15 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Hey Mariethe... Wow I could actually understand a lot of what you wrote...It �s true what they say: mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.

15 Jul 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Ich bin kein Teufel ... ni diable ... ni diablo ... but I am also not an angel.  I �m just a hard-working Teacher!

Les

15 Jul 2011     

1    2    3    Next >