Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Describing a commercial - I need your help, please    

Describing a commercial - I need your help, please

Telma Costa
Portugal

Describing a commercial - I need your help, please

Hi everyone

I �m trying to describe the action of this short and funny commercial, but I �m having trouble with some expressions. Can you pls watch it and help me?

Two German coast guards are in a control room. The older one is explaining the young one how things work and after that he leaves the room. Suddendly there �s a call for help from a ship.  Someone is saying: �We are sinking �... The German, not very good at English replies: �What are you thinking about? � ��� it �s not so great, is it???

Thank you all

21 Jul 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

Hello Telma..I �m not sure what you are asking.

21 Jul 2011     

Telma Costa
Portugal

Hi Ed,
what I �m asking for is for a short summary of the commercial, the description of the action....

21 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Telma. Actually what the commercial is trying to convey is the importance of learning English and correct pronunciation. As you saw in the video, because of this confusion (sinking / thinking) a tragedy took place.

Well, that was my interpretation, hope it helps.

Hugs.

Mar

21 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Telma exactly what you said is a good summary of the commercial and what Mar said is the gist of it. Ed

21 Jul 2011     

Telma Costa
Portugal

Thank you Mar and Ed.

21 Jul 2011     

super man
Argentina

good summary i think 

21 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

By the way, Berlitz Germany complained and had the advert removed. Or so I was told.

21 Jul 2011     

Mietz
Germany

Your summary is fine. The boss just gives the names of the devices. Nothing of big importance to the actual message.

@spinney -> Why would Berlitz complain about their own advert? (Just a question of interest.)

Mietz

21 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

I would just add "The German, not very good at English and misunderstanding the "s" sound as a "th" sound, replies: �What are you s{th}inking about?

21 Jul 2011     

poleta
Spain

The importance of learning a foreign language...

One day, a mouse baby and his mother were walking on the road.

Then suddenly there came a big CAT! 

The baby mouse is so scared that he began to tremble!! 

The mother mouse said loudly: "BARK! BARK!" Hearing this the cat went away. 

The mother told her baby then: "Now you see the importance of learning a foreign language!!"

21 Jul 2011     

1    2    Next >