Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Politics - worldwide devastation, not just Palestine & Israel, but also Darfur, Uganda & countless others - how sad    

Politics - worldwide devastation, not just Palestine & Israel, but also Darfur, Uganda & countless others - how sad

alien boy
Japan

Politics - worldwide devastation, not just Palestine & Israel, but also Darfur, Uganda & countless others - how sad

THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR POLITICS, HATE OR INTOLERANCE!!!

There is so much hatred, terror and anger in the world. WE DO NOT NEED IT HERE!!!

It is easy to point the finger at one country/nation/people or another and say �they started it. Look at what they are still doing�. (If you want to look through the history of almost every society you can find an excuse to hate, terrorise, maim & destroy.

The point of this website is to bring teachers together in a supportive community.
Our aims should be to educate our students and to broaden their ability for international exchange - why else would we be teaching & studying the same language?

Most people everywhere just want to live, be happy with their families & friends. Not to hate, kill or be killed, have their lives destroyed.

We need to be compassionate to everyone. Learn to live with each other & celebrate our differences, not revile them.

I will not ask God to bless everyone - my God may not be your god.
I will not pray to anyone or anything that life will be better - why pray to someone/thing that few people agree on?

My hope is that people everywhere will realise that we have more in common because of our everyday life, loves, hopes & dreams. These desires far outweigh our differences & should be the foundation for true international relations - not among countries, but among people!

Please, don�t continue with anger & political comments here - THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR THOSE COMMENTS!

I know that I can easily argue any or all points of support for the many different sides in these conflicts. Would this really help anyone? NO! We should first foster a willingness to accept each other for who we are, strive for understanding & realisation that we are all here together. We need to work together to attain equity for everyone!

Just a few thoughts from a peace loving alien...

31 Dec 2008      

atsitab
Portugal

I totaly agree with you, allien boy.  We, as educators, should not bear these kind of thoughts. We, above all, should be careful with the things we say.  Most kids look at us as models.  We we have hate in our words, what kind of models will we be?
Peace, harmony, kindness, should always be present in our daily words and acts!

I wish you all peace and love for the new year!

Love from Portugal!

31 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

I agree - but wonder where this outburst came from?
I haven�t seen people write about politics for a while now.
But when they do - people usually tell them not to write about religion or politics.
What made you think of this now?
L

31 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

I completely agree with everything you have written alien boy. The thread from last night was not appropriate for this site.
I don�t personally care where someone is from, what god they pray to (or not), or their personal politics. To me everyone here is equal. What matters to me is  this forum possibly could be the 1 in a gazillion diamond that we come to exchange our ideas and love for teaching as equals.
And that is something special.... so lets keep it that way. There are hundreds of forums elsewhere to debate religion and politics and war.

Off to make a banoffee pie for tonight mmmmmmmmmmmm :-)

31 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Goodmorning All.

Just a suggestion!

What do you think if everyone of us just paste a black paste in every post we make? This is to show our sadness and disagreement to what is happening. No comments, no political or religious arguments.
Just a sign of solidarity with the victims as humans and teachers we are, teaching kids all year long human rights, justice an I don�t know what else.
We can do this as long as these devastations continue.

I think this is the least we can do.

31 Dec 2008     

dennismychina
China

Hi Brian,

I couldn�t agree more. However;

It just gets my goat when people in glass houses start throwing stones. What right has one more holy than jerk off have to insult, point fingers, and generally debase fellow members. If I had my way I would terminate the membership of any person who brought up a subject like this.

And to quote a wise old Neptune (or is it Nordic) Santa.

�I don�t personally care where someone is from, what god they pray to (or not), or their personal politics. To me everyone here is equal. What matters to me is this forum possibly could be the 1 in a gazillion diamond that we come to exchange our ideas and love for teaching as equals.�

Not for offensiveness, rudeness and effrontery.

(like saying eslprintables sucks, for instance) :~]

31 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

Thanks Dennis
The messageboard changes so fast, I can hardly keep up sometimes!
Hugs
L

31 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

I agree with goodnesses... here�s my ... 

31 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Btw... I am not opposed to discussing "some" politics here... but not on the main board, maybe we need a thread just for "World Events" where we as teachers can ask and inform ourselves as to what is going on in certain places.

Example: I would love to ask an Indian colleague exactly what happened there. Here, the information on the news was, at best, foggy and unclear as what or why it happened. They were more focused on the hostages and people killed.

As teachers, I think it�s wrong to say "no politics, no whatever.. this forum is only for..." since I, for one enjoy learning what is going on in the world. There are things happening that I don�t know about, and if I did, perhaps I could pass that knowledge on to my students, help them be aware of the world around them.

Many kids today have no clue as to what is happening in the real world and how do we/they expect to change the world and make it better, if our "future" generations are clueless to the plights of others?? 

31 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

Dennismychina

What is it that I have said that offends you so? I am not sure from your reply the way it has formatted  if I have offended you or if you agree with me....

31 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

For myself, I do not feel I need to add a black mark to show sadness & solidarity. The death of innocents (& not just children) is an ongoing blot on humanity. As I said in the header to this thread, there are so many places where this pointless mayhem & murder continues. I like the sentiment, but do not feel a black mark on posts is the best way to show solidarity.

The fact that we can exchange thoughts, ideas & learn from each other is the solidarity I find. The existence of this wonderful site & community shows solidarity to me every time I visit.

I do not believe there should be a separate forum for politics & news per se. There are plenty of resources, blogs & news services on the internet. I believe they are more appropriate forums for this.

Regards,
ab

31 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >