Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > cultural differences    

cultural differences

MarionG
Netherlands

cultural differences

just wanted to share...

I am teaching �will � for future in my 6th grade.
They had to complete sentences with �will � or �won �t �.
The sentence was: I hope we ........... move to England. It always rains there.
For me, having lived in Holland all of my youth, it was OBVIOUS the answer had to be �won �t �. Who would want to live in a rainy country, right?
All of my Israeli students, without exception, wrote "will" which just goes to show that nothing is obvious. :)

Anyone came accross something similar? Would love to hear about it.

13 Jun 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

All of my students are immigrants (obviously) and I feel such sympathy. They have come from lovely, sunny climes and they are stuck in the cold, grey drizzle here. When I retire, I hope we will move to Italy, because.... (I haven �t time to list all the reasons). I LOVE ITALY.

13 Jun 2012     

jannabanna
France

Nothing to do with the climate, but as a Brit I would have said : "I hope we don �t move to England"  Strange that they give WILL or WON �T as possible answers?  We often use the present after "hope".  Does anyone else agree with me?

For Cunliffe:  I didn �t wait until retirement to move to the sunny south of France.  I came here over 30 years ago, so don �t wait too long before making the move!

13 Jun 2012     

mariamit
Greece

Marion - I  totally agree with you about the weather but having grown up in New York and then moving to the south of Greece I can tell you there have lots of times in the past  years where I have prayed for rain.  As to your sentence, Janet is right. we use the present simple with hope to express future meaning.
@ Lynne: Again Janet is right. Don �t wait too long to move to Italy. It �s such a beautiful place especially the south, thst you �ll need lots and lots of time to enjoy it!Wink

13 Jun 2012     

Zora
Canada

Hello Marion,

I have had this problem quite a few times! Weather seems to be an area where kids give strange but logical answers. For example, one time I remember, I did a worksheet on the weather in Spain. I put "In summer, the weather in Spain is _______ and _______" expecting them to put "hot and sunny" and I got a few "cool and rainy"! lol

They were technically right. The part of Spain that they lived in had been cool and rainy for the past couple years. They were too young to remember anything else or to realize that Spain is considered a hot and sunny destination in the summer for tourists.

I guess children are more creative or more imaginative than we are at times - or they just know how to reason their way out of a wrong answer! lol

13 Jun 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Marion,

I live in Gateshead, in the north of England, UK.

We have a very large immigrant population.  Families have travelled right acoss the world, from Europe, Asia, Africa and America to live here, for many different reasons.

I am told that Gateshead is home to the largest Jewish Talmudical College outside of israel. A large part of the town is known locally as "Little Jerusalem".

The local College runs an ESOL course which is always in popular demand.  Students attend who come from almost every country in the world.  When asked their opinion of England, they frequently reply that they "love England" but that they "don �t like the weather".

I also love England, which, together with Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, forms part of the country that we call the United Kingdom.

"Home is" NOT "where the MONEY is"  ... "where the SUN is" ... "where the RAIN is".

"HOME is where the HEART is".

Les 

13 Jun 2012     

Zora
Canada

Ahh Les, how right you are. Smile I am living in England now. I simply adore your country, and could easily live here all my life. However, it is not my "home of the heart" - that place is a huge, snowy and cold in the winter, warm and mosquito ridden place in the summer! A place where the child in me played with her cousins in the snow or went camping in the rain and slept on the hard ground.

I think that when you become an immigrant yourself, you realise that a country is more than just a place. It �s that part of you where memories where made and stored. A place that molded you - for good or for bad - and that will always be part of you wherever you go in life.

As my boyfriend once said - "Home is a place where you know that you will be welcomed back to." and for me that is, without a doubt, Canada. My parents went back after 20 years and old friends welcomed into their homes and lives like they had only been away on a long vacation. The same happened to me when I went back after 9 years away. Old school mates called me up, cousins came to see me that I hadn �t seen in years, it was very heart-warming and I know that this does not happen everywhere, nor does it happen to everyone...

Anyways, I am rambling and just wanted to say that I agree with Les.  Home IS where the heart is.  Smile

13 Jun 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Linda, I just have to add that what happened to you on coming back , doesn �t happen to everyone, you �re right. There �s the husband of a friend, he �s american by birth and had to come live here 8 years ago for family problems and last year he went back to the US to try and settle down there again and he just didn �t succeed. He couldn �t get a good job and he didn �t have friends to turn to ... so I guess if you were well received by people there, it �s because of the kind of person you are ... I guess the kind people never forget ;-) ! As you said, " it doesn �t happen everywhere nor does it happen to everyone ...."
I �m leaving this country in some months and I certainly hope something like what happened to you, will happen to me some years from now ... It did happen when I went back to Spain some time ago and it �s heart warming to go back and be received like that ...
Wow Marion ... I �m getting emotional all because of your post :-) Hugs to all ...

13 Jun 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I forgot ! Sts had to complete a sentence to learn the use of conditionals : I wrote :
" If I could change anything about this school .... " thinking they �d write "have longer breaks, not wearing a uniform" and things like that. Instead, a 15-year-old girl wrote " I would move this school to a different country but with the same friends" ...

13 Jun 2012     

jmthomas
China

@mariamit Although "I hope we don �t" is more commonly used, I see nothing wrong with using hope with the future, as in the original post. As @janna said "We often use the present after "hope". " The key word being often.

13 Jun 2012     

Zora
Canada

Just read your post Alicia. Smile And I must say I got a bit emotional too. ... We can just blame Les for reminding us that home is where the heart is. Wink

And pray tell, since when is it starting to be uncommon to use the simple future with "hope"????

I use it all the time... in fact:

I hope it �ll be sunny tomorrow so I can go for a walk.
I hope the cat won �t bring in any more cute little mice as gifts.
I hope my mom will like the gift I got for her birthday.
Do you hope this summer will be hot and sunny like I do?
My boyfriend hopes he won �t be working in London during the Olympics.

Need I go on?

13 Jun 2012     

1    2    3    Next >