Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Fancy Pictures    

Fancy Pictures

yetigumboots
Germany

Fancy Pictures

Good morning to you all. I just have to get something off my chest.... I posted a question the other day and within a few minutes it had dissapeared from the page, and was replaced by lots of flashing pictures and greetings and silly comment. I am sorry but I used to enjoy getting help from other teachers on this site (because I am only a DIY teacher and not as qualified as some of you, so I value your comments) but now it seems to have gone out of control. I find this very sad and would love to see some way of this site getting back to being just �teacher� stuff.
Can�t we use the private messenger if you just want to say good morning to someone with a flashing pictue? (what has this to do with teaching????)

Sorry, I am a bit grumpy this morning.

Maybe I will try another time to get an answer to my question.

Greetings from a frustrated Yeti xx

16 Jan 2009      

BRAHIM S
France

Good morning to you too,

You are not grumpy... don�t feel sorry.... your remark is very very relevant
I have been hesitating to post something on that issue and you have read in my mind, so many thanks
I also feel as frustrated as you to see this front page full of silly comments, flashing pictures and private messages.... some of these really make me sick.... You are totally right the private messenger should be used for other stuff not adressed to the whole community
Have an excellent day
Brahim

16 Jan 2009     

Im Lety
Mexico

I agree with you... Yetygumboots
And kind agree when people say thank you for people download your work...

But, when you start putting pictures of cows UFOs bears etc every day. That�s really  worrying...

I have good friends here and I have communication by email...with some of you...
I leave my space...�The space that I can us� in this forum �...for teaching stuff...That�s its purpose...Well, most people say that when come up war stuff...Go elsewhere  or something like that...Well, lets say there are places like My Space, Face box and whateaver...People can use ...

Greetings

16 Jan 2009     

jecika
Serbia

Hello Yeti,
this is what I think ... as time goes by members of eslprintables feel more and more comfortable with one another ... as far as I remember at first Eslprintables was just a site ... than it became a community and now more and more people call it a FAMILY ... and that�s what members of families do ... wish each other good morning / night ... have fun and sometimes do silly things
If you have a closer look at the forum ... every single day ... serious teaching matters are being discussed too ... not only the silly ones
Have a nice day
Jecika

16 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I agree with Jecika as with all the serious issues like the stolen worksheets, because some members are being extremely dishonest and disrespectful of other members work, it�s good to have a laugh and a light moment to brighten the day :-)
I always look through the recent topics to see if I have missed anything, or can help anyone too. I really feel part of this community and not just with one person through private message but with many who regularly contribute here on the forum especially. The "silly cows" are a lighthearted way of addressing the issue of stolen worksheets which have been plauging this wonderful website lately.
I am sorry that you feel that your message is not being displayed for long enough, but if you have an appropriate title to your message so we know what its about it will stand out in the recent section as well as whatever section you posted it under.
I enjoy a bit of humour and fun during the day, it helps to de stress!
I don�t belong to facebook or any of those sites because I dont want to. I belong to THIS site.
This great supportive welcoming community of fantastic teachers. Who sometimes are a bit loopy :-)

16 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

Okay, I need to get this off my chest - sorry for the tone but I am a bit piqued...

Libertybelle had a very nice suggestion the other day - Advertising, once a month on a set day, a older worksheet of ours that we think people might enjoy. And guess what? It was shot down like a duck in hunting season because it would take up precious space here on the site!! 

Well, you know what defenders of "wasted space and clutter"? Your cute images and clipart take up WAY WAY more space than an image which is normally anywhere from 50k upwards and most - especially the big beautiful ones, are around 100k at least!!... while a post is about 4k maybe... So, which clutters more, huh?? Which wastes more space?? Images or messges?? I think people should think about this before they start defending stuff...

16 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

eh?I am a bit confused by your post zora... I dont use pics/clipart apart from one yesterday...also I have never replied in a negative way to anything of Libertybells... so I am not quite sure who your reply is directed at... All I am defending is the way humour is used and not always serious issues here on the forum.
I also dont like huge pics on posts, but most people do try to resize them smaller.

16 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

ps to yeti about the resource books you are looking for... maybe no one actually has what you are looking for? You did say it is something you use in Germany. I have only seen two other German members on the forum... so maybe that�s the reason no one has replied. Not because no one saw it.

16 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

I can understand both sides of the argument. Personally, I kind of like the "fancy pictures" because they sometimes save me time when searching for clipart.   I usually copy them to my clipart/gif file for future use.

I usually check the different sections of the forum and answer where I can.  What comes up on the start page is just gravy to me.

Perhaps we should have one forum section dedicated to just "community interaction" where we can post these "personal" messages--they do a lot of good for the community and for the soul.
Just my opinion,

Douglas

16 Jan 2009     

Im Lety
Mexico

DOUGLAS...My dear...I just want to say Thank you...Clap

16 Jan 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Hi,

If we are going to let our feeling come off our chest, I would also say that I don�t see the point people being rude on the forum. I would avoid or replace  certain words or expressions by some more polite ones specially because we are proffessionals who are suppossed to manage the language and can monitor our expression. Such expressions  such as �silly comments�, �make me feel sick�  sound a little be rude in the context they are used.

The  aim of this site is not only the �teaching stuff� but also mantaining the health of the site by avoiding dishonest behaviour by some members. Search the origin of those pictures, and you�ll see a very serious  issue lying behind. Reporting stolen worksheet is tyring and boring for certain members, posting pictures is a waste of space for others, creating a mascot to talk about the serious issue of stolen words is silly for you, and so on and so for. But what about other posts? Who is to jugde which posts are relevant or not to be on the forum? What about questions that appear on the forum that would be solved by reading the FAQ or just the rules set by Victor?  And almost all of the questions get their answers. And I have seen, because I tend to analize the things very much, that  those members who also have fun or leave flashing cards, for example, are always ready to answer and help others, regardless the relevance of the question.

Besides, some of you  say the the size of the picture makes  some posts disappear, and I don�t agree. Just sit in front of the computer and analize how the forum works.

Finally, I would say that greeting is not a personal issue. As far as I know, according to the suggested behaviour on forums and Internet mediated communications greeting , using polite language and low case letters, for example,  are advisable.

BTW: What is the meaning of �fancy� for you???

16 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >