Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRESENT CONTINUOUS AND PRESENT PROGRESSIVE.    

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRESENT CONTINUOUS AND PRESENT PROGRESSIVE.

maggiejeria
Chile

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRESENT CONTINUOUS AND PRESENT PROGRESSIVE.

Dear colleagues:  Could you please, give some clear examples between Present Continuous and Present Progressive?. Thanks in advance.

11 Oct 2012      

yanogator
United States

They �re just two names for the same thing.

Am/Is/Are + -ing form.

Bruce

11 Oct 2012     

maggiejeria
Chile

Bruce : Thank you very much.   Do you know why they have two names?

11 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

My guess is that it �s just different grammar textbooks. I think "progressive" is older, and "continuous" is much more common now.

Bruce

11 Oct 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

I had assumed progressive was American and continuous British.

11 Oct 2012     

Ttime
France

In France it �s now called BE-ING present

11 Oct 2012     

Mafalda31
Greece

I�ve heard that progressive is British and contunuous American. I heard it from James a guy that has amazing and funny esl videos on youtube.

12 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Pres continuous is the British name for this tense, and pres progressive is the American

12 Oct 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

British? American? I �ve never come across this distinction before. What I do recall, though, is that �present � is the actual tense while �progressive �/ �continuous � are aspects of this tense. And that both terms are generally considered to be interchangeable (but �progressive � is more common in grammars nowadays). Having said that, there �s an interesting distinction here in Wikipedia - although a �continuous � static-ness doesn �t make a lot of sense.

12 Oct 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

@Ttime
Loved the new name; Be-ing Present ,
It is a good way to make them remember that they need the correct form of �to be � as well as the ing form of the verb (since Hebrew doesn �t have an equivalent of �to be � in present tense, my students tend to forget it...)

12 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Almaz: are you in the UK? We call it the present continuous.

12 Oct 2012     

1    2    Next >