Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > "WORD OF THE DAY" Competition, New Year´s Day, 2013    

"WORD OF THE DAY" Competition, New Year´s Day, 2013

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"WORD OF THE DAY" Competition, New Year´s Day, 2013

Dear Members,

Before I present the �Word of the Day Competition�, I�d like to express my feelings.

I think that ESL Printables is an excellent website.  It makes a contribution of immense value to the knowledge of those who speak English, to the knowledge of Teaching, and to the knowledge of the World.

Knowledge brings clarity, because it emits a light in the darkness.

Knowledge brings wisdom, because it offers a solution in a world of confusion.

Knowledge brings freedom, because it opens a door into infinity.

Those of us who are privileged to be Members of ESLP owe a huge debt of gratitude to Victor for his care, his effort, and his dedication in organising this splendid site.  It allows all Members to exchange opinions and ideas about teaching, not just English, but numerous other disciplines too.

But ESLP is much more than this!

It is a dictionary, a grammar book, and a thesaurus all rolled into one.  If you tried to buy a copy, you couldn�t find one to compare with it.  If you found one, you couldn�t lift it, because it contains so much material.  If you could lift it, you couldn�t buy it, because there isn�t that much money in the world.  ESLP is a wonderful teaching resource --- it is a treasure-store!

But ESLP is much, much more than this!

It is a Club with three-quarter-of-a-million Members who are a mixture of teachers and students; parents and children; young and old; men and women; married and single; from every continent, country or class; from every race, region or religion; and from every known language, dialect or patois.  The Members have one thing in common --- they are all equal.  

But ESLP is much, much, much more than this!

It is an Internet programme which helps teachers solve educational problems; a magazine to read, relish, then relax; and a Private Message service which permits strangers at opposite ends of the earth to give each other an encouraging hug.  Indeed, for many lonely, troubled, weary Members --- it is a life-saver!

It is possible that many do not realise it, but numerous ESLP Members rely on this Club as their sole means of contact, comfort, and companionship with other people.  It is their ONLY opportunity to speak, to smile and to have a joke with another person.  I know, because they write and tell me so.  That is why the Caf� and the Forum are so important for chit-chat, jokes, and casual conversations.

In particular, the �Caption Competition� and the �Word of the Day Competition� are not only challenging language exercises, they are also a way of letting off steam and having a bit of harmless fun.  I have frequently been amazed at how many times Members have used Figures of Speech --- Alliteration, Metaphor, Simile, Onomatopoeia, Bathos, etc, to justify their explanation, AND they have combined their answer with humour.  (They say that, if you can recount a joke in a foreign language, then you can REALLY speak that language).

There are some rare people who think that one minute spent laughing is one minute of life wasted.  They are entitled to that opinion.  However, if a language-teacher, (of ANY language), suggests that humour is not a suitable topic for learning, that person has a great deal to learn about teaching.  Humour is an important part of life.  That is why, in my opinion, the Competitions are an important part of ESLP.

Whenever I see the name of the Winner of the Competition, I imagine a little school on a mountain-top, or in a tiny village.  I see the children run home and proudly announce to their parents: �MY TEACHER won the Competition�.

The more Members who participate, the more answers we have.  The more answers we have, the more fun it becomes.  The more fun it becomes, the more we laugh.

�It matters not whether you Win or Lose, but whether you play the Game!�

So, here we go!

The �Word of the Day� is �THAUMATURGE�.

Let�s have your definitions, please.  Sensible or stupid.  Clever or crackpot.  Witty or whatever.

Les Douglas

And A Happy New Year to Everyone.

31 Dec 2012      

Mariethe House
France

happy new year Les!May it bring you what you need and peace in your heart.
I quite agree wod and caption contest bring knowledge, fun and humour to this place but to participate you do need a very good mastery of all the "finesse" of the formal, informal, colloquial aspects of English. And I feel only natives possess this which means fewer and fewer people participate.( BTW, this is only my opinion, one opinion!!) However I do love reading your verbal jousts but sometimes I don �t understand some answersConfused and I feel totally inept to participate. This is why , at one time, I suggested it could be a theme , a topic people would react to bringing their wit and eloquence and humour ... something like a creative writing workshop...
Anyway, that is just an idea...
Best regards
Marieth�

31 Dec 2012     

zailda
Brazil

Wow... I have no idea what thaumasomething means, and it �s both yours and my stupidy fault... I become very emotional on New Year �s Eve, and your "few" lines didn �t contribute to amend that.

Maybe my "children"will run home announcing their teacher won the competition, who knows? 

I think it �s kinda code short message we send on the internet or mobiles:

"Turn Home As (yo)U see the Message AT (yo)UR Gadget, End (of the message)"

Happy New Year! (I �m not drinking champagne yet... I guess)

31 Dec 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

@Happy New year  Marieth�, Zailda!

@ Dear Les,

Good to see you back here. Tongue Every word you say - as always - are not only true but wise!

This compliment of yours is beautiful and all I can say is that I have learnt A LOT with native speakers.

So my gratitude to Victor - The webmaster - and all ESL members with whom I priveledged to learn always something new everyday!

Now back to the word: THAUMATURGE

A word use to describe when someone goes to the theatre and feels depressed and traumatized at the end of the  performance with its bad quality.

HAPPY NEW YEAR: 2013 to all of you!

31 Dec 2012     

sarguero
Spain

THAUMATURGE: If he works in a hospital he �s called TRAUMATOLOGIST

31 Dec 2012     

Montypython
France

Dear friends,
Happy New Year to all of you!!!!!
Dear Les, I love what you said, everything, as usual, is wise & so heart-felt!
Thank YOU all my esl p friends & Victor for sharing so much !!!!!!! (& I �m not talking about worksheets!:)
Well, you made me feel bad about the WOD. I love reading your deinitions,explanations but am alsways in a rush.... so my first  New Year �s resolution will be to take time to give it a try!

A thaumaturge is a theatre lover who is also always a sailor and keeps sailing along the Thau lake that stretches along the Languedoc-Roussillon in France.  Wink

Tons of hugs :)
marie

31 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Les, what excellent sentiments, so beautifully expressed. 
Now, from the sublime to the ridiculous - a thaumaturge is what you get, if you are lucky, at the end of a hard day. Somebody - hopefully somebody you know well - massages your toes and simultaneously shoves grapes into your mouth. Somebody then rings you on your mobile and asks what you are having done. Your mouth is chocca with delicious (peeled, of course) grapes and you say, �Aa �m �avin a thau maturge. �

1 Jan 2013     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

@ Lynn LOL

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!

1 Jan 2013     

melinaki
Greece

"Thaumaturge" is something that does miracles to your life. It �s what the ESLP site does to lots of teachers � lives around the world- a healing, relaxing effect. Happy new year to all!

1 Jan 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

Les HeartHug

my first association (as a non native) for thaumaturge:

a surgeon who who works in arctic regions and specializes in thawing out frozen patients?

1 Jan 2013     

maryano30
Peru

IT COULD BE A DEPRESSED PLAYWRIGHT.
HAPPY NEW YEAR !
A BIG HUG.

1 Jan 2013     

1    2    Next >