Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > William and Kate ´s baby    

William and Kate ´s baby

izulia
China

Great site, Peter! Just looked at funny pics, they are fabulous. Can use these images for my lessons! Thanks! 
... And yes, I ´m not a native speaker and have nothing to do with England, royal family, etc, etc, but for some reason it made me happy to know the baby king was born. Why? I have no idea... Although I agree that it ´s unfair that so many babies in need don ´t get enough attention...

22 Jul 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Well, it´s very interesting - no media frenzy here what so ever.  Although born just 12 hours ago, in my state newspaper it´s only number 8 of most viewed items and was on the front page (a banner) for such a short time though it possibly will be no 1 in tonight´s TV news .  If someone wants to read about it they have to go to the World News section.  That really says it all.  As Peter said, it´s of no significance to us.  Most people I know don´t care either way - they are just not interested.  The royalty only ever visit us once in a blue moon and when they do such a fortune is spent, valuable money that really could be better spent elsewhere, but I must say that at those times Royalty is warmly welcomed. 

It probably won´t be too long though before Australia becomes a republic because basically the values of a monarchy are really quite opposite to the Australian values of today.

Please note, that I am in no way for or against the original post, or of anyone´s opinions. I just decided to join the conversation, and an interesting one it turned out to be. 

23 Jul 2013     

Jayho
Australia

To ponder on the indigenous issue:

Most indigneous people speak English as a second lanaguage (there are hundreds of indigneous languages) and there are many indigenous ESL teachers out there in the education system.  To many indigenous people Botany Bay is a sad reminder of their heritage, where indigenous people had been for thousands of years. So that ´s why I say BB is not such a nice place.  Although celebrated as the birthplace of modern Australia, I felt somewhat uncomfortable every time I took visitors to see Captain Cook´s memorial and I really hated seeing that plaque of the diary entry there, and the words it contained, and found it quite disrespectful to our indigenous people.  But that´s just my opinion and I in no way wish to discredit anyone´s opinion.  We are all entitled to an opinion and I respect everyone´s opinion.

Mariethe asked for info on indigneous children - I don ´t work with indigneous children though I have worked alongside the most amazing and dedicated indigenous people for my entire working life (30+ years).  Here are some links for anyone who is interested:

Cheers

Jayho

23 Jul 2013     

aliciapc
Uruguay

@cunliffe : I don ´t think anyone was offended by your comments! It ´s just you giving an opinion which everyone is entitled to !
@peter : thanks for the website, much more interesting information there to work with, than this "royal" baby ...
Anyway, important or not ... it has kept us talking about it ! Wink

24 Jul 2013     

< Previous   1    2    3