Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What to do when students think their grades are unfair?    

What to do when students think their grades are unfair?

carinita
Argentina

What to do when students think their grades are unfair?

As some of you may know, I work at a school where misbehaviour occurs day after day. Some of the teenage students that misbehave (not all) got low marks this term in English. As the "troublemakers" usually act defiantly, I expect they will question their marks. Any tips to give feedback to them?
By the way, I �m planning to quit that job when the school year ends because I �ve been trying to stop these disruptions unsuccedingly since the beginning of the year. As a concequence, I feel sad. I �m not doing my job properly ( I teach only to SOME students lessons that are not enjoyable because they are often interrupted by quarrels, noises, complaints, etc., all of which ruin the class atmosphere).
Luckily, with other groups in other institutions I feel differently.
Thanks to all the teachers here which gave/ give me advice...I have come to the point where you say "It isn�t worth it" I guess there are other spaces or places where my job is worthy.

15 Sep 2013      

manonski (f)
Canada

I teach with younger students and I always give them the evaluation criteria before doing a task.
I often do a model with them and I use the criteria so we can correct it together. That way, they see the process and how they can end up with good or bad grades.

15 Sep 2013     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I feel for you! I was in a similar situation a while ago, and am now so glad that I have got another job - it really isn �t worth it!

As far as justifying grades, I tend to ask the student why he or she thinks that they got that grade. Often when asked to evaluate their own work students will see that they are not up to scratch - it is also a good idea to have some concrete examples to point out to the student why they got the particular grade.

If they are troublemakers and part of the grade is based on their performance in class you can point this out to them and again come with examples of bad behaviour.

I hope that this helps, and please don �t give up - find a place with nice kids instead ;-)

Cindy

15 Sep 2013     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks to both of you for your tips and thanks, Cindy, for your empathy! Approve

15 Sep 2013     

Doot
Canada

Whenever I have a student or more that I think are going to cause me grief I start a running log on them. Everytime they act out Write it dwn with the date.  I also inform he principal and counselor. Later if the parent or student questions something you pull out your file and start reading. As for marks, I email students and updated reports every two, three weeks and later you justify the mark with the log of how many times students had the opportunity to make up missec assignments. Hang in there, it gets easier!

15 Sep 2013     

keftor
Turkey

Hello, 

Well, I mostly check the answer key with students so they learn their mistakes. And we do that during the class just after  the exam. It can be a couple of days later. However, I have smart board in my classes. So everybody can see it on the board and  we go over the exam together. 

However, still someone insists asking for seeing his - her exam paper. I bring it and we check it together. When s/he finds out his-her mistakes,s /he doesn �t complain again. Mostly, and hopefully. 

So sorry about the troublemakers. I also had ones once, and I can �t say that I dealt with them well. 

all the best

15 Sep 2013     

essam35
Egypt

i think u need to follow a certain system of motivation for ur Ss using points or marks or ranking Ss according to their behavior inside the classroom. u can also use so many activities inside the classroom  by which u allow Ss to move inside the classroom like writing race this might help draw thier attention wish u good luck but never give up just try to take ur 2nd step sure it will b better than the 1st step (year)

15 Sep 2013     

carinita
Argentina

I`ve been teaching at the fourth and fifth course since August 2012 Next year I won �t be seeing the students in the fifth but I �ll continue with the students that are now doing the fourth. Today I don �t feel like going on.

15 Sep 2013     

essam35
Egypt

wish u good luck
 sometimes i feel i want to quit the whole world but u no i overcome this feeling and i go on i thought many times of changing my career but i found out that i would waste my years of experience 

15 Sep 2013     

carinita
Argentina

Smile

15 Sep 2013     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Hi Carinita

I really feel for you in this - you sound like such a dedicated teacher who truly cares about her ss and her effectiveness as a teacher. As the saying goes �you can �t win them all" so do what you can and when the time comes, walk away.  We all need to cut ourselves some slack from time to time.

All the best,

Terri

15 Sep 2013     

1    2    Next >