Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Joke with idiom    

Joke with idiom

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Joke with idiom

Last night I went to dinner with a group of friends. One of them had their 5 year old daughter with them. This little girl could not stop staring at me. I checked my shirt - buttons were done up; I checked my make-up, everything OK; my hair... Everything was in place. I raised my glass of wine and she just never took her eyes off me. Eventually, I had to ask her, �Why are you watching me so closely, my dear? �
�I �m just waiting to see how you drink like a fish, � she replied. 

6 Dec 2013      

jannabanna
France

Well...well..... Lynne, I �m afraid your reputation is now worldwide!

Janet

6 Dec 2013     

maryse pey�
France

I love the way the children reflect ! So funny and natural ! So simple !

Do you know how it is to drink like a fish ? Lol !

6 Dec 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s an idiom, which means to drink copious amounts of alcohol. For the sake of my international reputation Wink, I will point out this is an old joke and I was just moving the spam down a bit. For the record, I only drink at the weekend, so cheers, everybody! Bottoms up! 

Lynne

6 Dec 2013     

maryse pey�
France

Yes, it �s an idiom. And like many idioms their logic is felt completely different by the children. And as far as I am concerned I am completely drunk even if I haven �t drunk like a fish...

And that �s why I thought the girl �s reaction so funny.

Here in France some idioms are particularly funny too...

6 Dec 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Can you share a couple, Maryse? How will they sound, translated into English, I wonder? 

6 Dec 2013     

maryse pey�
France

Let me reflect :

"To drink like a hole" for "to drink like a fish"
"to rain ropes" for "to rain cats and dogs"
"to have the stomach in the heels" means "to be very very hungry"

I will give more as soon as I have gathered the funniest. OK ?

6 Dec 2013     

minimal70
Morocco

at an early age, children have the ability to produce speech that is equivalent to philosophers �s; their mind is so structured that everything in it seems latent. at one time you may hear the psychologist speaking; at another time, the output is a mere reflection of what a linguist sees things; more than that, you may see children working on objects or playing with other materials as if they were enginner; at last you may witness a physician acting, modelling or analyzing.
the world of a child is on its own; a species specific

6 Dec 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Yes Lynne we �ve heard it �s only on the weekends... but for the entire weekend... nonstop. Ed

6 Dec 2013     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

Hey that is funny Maysee,
some of your idioms are the same in Danish - you drink like a hole in the ground instead of a fish here too, but it rains in poles here!
On can also feel like a dog in a game of bowls!

6 Dec 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

In Russian:
drink like a shoemaker 
it pours as if from a bucket
hungry as a wolf
the heart went to the heels is used to say you �re scared
And if you feel like a fish out of water, you usually say, "I am not in my plate"
The one my boys like a lot is "You scared a cat with a sausage" (that �s what you say when you mean "Bring it on!")

6 Dec 2013     

1    2    Next >