Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The use of ´unless ´.    

The use of ´unless ´.

Jayho
Australia

There is an alternative - a menage  a trois! 

17 Feb 2009     

yunaked
Algeria

To put it briefly, we can ´t use ´ unless ´ in types 2 &3 conditional unless it sounds meaningful,can we? Thanks for your help.

17 Feb 2009     

yunaked
Algeria

So no rule .How can we explain this to our pupils who are at a loss ´unless ´ they are given a rule?

17 Feb 2009     

yunaked
Algeria

I ´ve just had a look at the esl worksheets and all of them are about ´unless+type 1 only ´ .Can anyone send any teaching material  that would help?

17 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Okay this is a "rule" of sorts... since I am not sure if it ´s something I just noticed over the years or if it really is for sure that way... but anyhow most of you know that English rules are made to be broken... Wink

Here ´s my "rule":

"Unless" is mostly used when the "clause" is a negative sentence or has a negative meaning...

I won ´t come "unless" John is there.
She can ´t finish her work "unless" there silence in the room.
Ivona wouldn ´t help John "unless he voted for her.
John wouldn ´t have seen the movie "unless" it had been produced by Tarantino..

See what I am getting at??

17 Feb 2009     

yunaked
Algeria

Not necessarily negative.What about this one: you ´ll be late unless you hurry.

17 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

I said "a rule of sorts"... not that  every sentence has to be negative... although, apart from first and zero conditional tense, you will find that most times it will be used with negative sentences.

17 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

This is just a simple and clear explanation:

Unless = If  ...  not.

unless         +    affirmative verb
You can ´t leave the house      unless you          say where you ´re going.

if                 +      negative verb
You can ´t leave the centre      if you                  don ´t say where you ´re going.

There is not rule to use unless, you just have to use it propperly according to what it means so that the sentence makes sense, and the message of the communication is fair. And of course unless can be used in any type of conditional.

Miss Melissa. Hug

17 Feb 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Ok, guys
What about this:

-You won ´t succeed unless you work hard.
-You will succeed unless you don ´t work hard.

I don ´t think the negative verb (or meaning) should only be in the main clause unless you have a valuable reference.

I agree with the majority that unless is only used in a types 1 conditional structure.

There may be some exceptions which are not usual and for a special purpose. But the exception doesn ´t make the rule.

17 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Uh, the second sentence makes no sense... Shocked

17 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >