Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Favourite Writers    

Favourite Writers

spinney
United Kingdom

Favourite Writers

I was wondering what everybody reads around here? I love detective novels. I can �t get enough of them! But if I were to choose somebody just for the way they write in English and for the general mood they create, then it has to be P. G. Wodehouse. Stephen Fry on Wodehouse

31 Mar 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I have a soft spot for detective novels too - guilty secrets shared, eh? I have read loads by Patricia Cornwell. I like all these Scandinavian ones, they can get that dark feel - Jo Nesbo and the like. My favourite novel of all times is �Jane Eyre �. It is so wonderful and  the blueprint for successful romantic novels, including Mills and Boon (another guilty secret!). For sheer style of writing, it has to be D.H Lawrence. I find his prose breathtaking. I �ll have a look at your link now, Dale! Thanks for the post. 

31 Mar 2016     

maryse pey�
France

I can read everything if it is interesting.

My favorite books ? Jonathan Livingston the Seagull by Richard Bach for its deep subtle message hidden through a very basic text, and The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde for the values suggested with a great talent. Then there is, thanks to one of my dear students, the Harry Potter series so rich in symbolic elements.

Well I do love Charles Exbrayat with his so witty style in his "detective" novels. He is able to raise so paradoxical human feelings and so many simple truths...

And I enjoy writers like John Grisham, Umberto Ecco and so many other authors. I am a fan of Edgar Poe and ... and ...

As soon as a book deals with an interesting story, an unusual plot ... I can �t help reading it and advise it !

Reading is one of my favorite hobbies and I have to read every day or I feel "lost" ! I think it is a safe and very instructive hobby !

A famous French man said once " The most wasted day is the day when you have learnt nothing" and I added "and when you have not laughed"...

Reading, as far as I am concerned, is a real source for both !

Hugs.

Maryse.

31 Mar 2016     

manonski (f)
Canada

I average about a book per week.  At this rate, I just a love a book that can surprise me. Like Cunliffe, I have a soft spot for Jo Nesbo. Love the series with Harry Hole. It just keeps getting better with each book. 

I love Jodi Picoult and Lisa Genova.  Not really suspense novels but they make you think and sometimes, the real ending of the book is the one the reader chooses to think it is.  

You should consult www.goodreads.com. You �ll find suggestions based on what you like and you can even follow friends. I �m Manonski. I know other members of this site are also on it. 

31 Mar 2016     

Manuhk
Hong Kong

Oh, detective novels and mysteries, I love them too. P.G. Wodehouse is high on my �having a chuckle � agenda too, so is Terry Pratchett. When is comes to detective/mystery books, I love the classics like Agatha Christie and Arthur Canon Doyle. J.K. Rowling dipped her feet into that genre too, very successfully so. Under a pen-name (Robert Galbraith) she wrote three absolutely mesmerising detective novels (the Cormoran Strike series), there are more to come. Louise Penny, a Canadian writer is a good read too.

31 Mar 2016     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you dale for bringing this topic!

I used to read a lot and for some reason, I stopped for quite a few years( 4/5?) . However, recently one of my "treacherous" friends gave me this book:!
The authors are Ella berthoud and Susan elderkin. It is in the trend of the "book therapy" thing. An  A to Z as it says on the cover of all the possible ailments and they advise one or several books to cure those ailments!Of course, I did find quite a few that sounded good for me . So I sent for them and since I can�t stop reading! Now my friend is quite happy! And me too!
One of them is "joy in the morning" by pg Wodehouse and is referred to as one very good cure when you are depressed! I think I have never read anything so funny in my life! So Dale, I do agree with you: he is a fantastic writer. And... I am not feeling depressed anymore!
Thus I have read or re-read some Steinbeck (Cannery row), some doris Lessing, Carson mccullers and i enjoyed them all! But what I loved most was, the fabulous epic of samurai: Musashi by the wonderful Japanese writer : Yoshikawa! 600 pages which I read in 4 days! The style, although a translation is incredible ... so well written ... A breathtaking novel!
Now  I have orrdered the "doorstop" The sea of fertility by Mishima which i haven�t received yet  and I can�t wait to get it!
So.... I am so pleased I have started reading again! What pleasure it gives you ! But I have almost given up knitting!!!Cry  Where is the solution? Any idea?

Ps My partner is also crazy about the detective novels you mention Lynne! I have tried reading one or two but they didn�t really hold my interestDisapprove
Thank you again for this post, Dale.

31 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

Mariethe,
I �m glad you mentioned my favorite, John Steinbeck. I can re-read Of Mice and Men countless times (and always cry at the end). I even love all three film versions of it, although the classic with Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney, Jr., is still the best, because Steinbeck �s spirit is strongly evident in it.

I read every Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child as it comes out, and wish he could write one a month.

I like Steven King, except that he is horrible at endings.

Bruce 

31 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I have taught �Of Mice and Men � so many times and however much I lead students, they never get this message without being told: Candy should have shot his own dog. I think unless people get this message, they haven �t understood the reason for the title. Just an aside. 

31 Mar 2016     

SVieira
Portugal

I got started with "Of Mice and Men" (the Portuguese translation - that �s the one that is available in our local library) today, early in the morning! On page 2 I already felt "there", and not "here, at home"! And now that I �ve read your comments on it, I know for sure I won �t be disappointed! It �s great finding you all consider it just as good as I had expected it to be (before I got started)!
(And Lynne, your comment made me more aware of what I should be paying attention to when reading!)

Sandra

31 Mar 2016     

silvanija
Lithuania

I have just finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

31 Mar 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

I absolutely love all Khaled Hosseini books. A Thousand Splendid Suns broke my heart. He really is one of the best writers living today. For those of you that like detective novels, Tana French is amazing. All her books are totally unreal. If anybody wants to try P G Wodehouse, read Crime Wave at Blandings. Wonderful story, capable of cheering up the most miserable at any moment.  (also the Jeeves and Wooster books, of course.)

I have a load of Jo Nesbo books that I haven�t touched yet. I�ll have to give them a go.

31 Mar 2016     

1    2    Next >