Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Does a teacher have to know the whole vocabulary in dictionary? Or how many?    

Does a teacher have to know the whole vocabulary in dictionary? Or how many?

altan_neu
Turkey

Does a teacher have to know the whole vocabulary in dictionary? Or how many?

according to the students YES a teacher should know the whole !..

15 May 2009      

libertybelle
United States

I have a huge vocabulary - and I certainly don �t know every word in every dictionary.
You probably don �t know every word in the Turkish dictionary either.
That �s why we HAVE dictionaries!!!
My students have a little light-weight English/Danish dictionary in their school bags and I expect them to look up words they don �t know and words they can �t spell.
L

15 May 2009     

miss_yanis
Argentina

I always tell my students I �m a teacher, not a walking dictionary! LOL

YOu can �t expect anyone to know all the words in a dictionary, but it is really useful to have a varied and extended vocabulary

Kisses!

Miss Yanis

15 May 2009     

tricia973
Uruguay

Hello, well I couldn �t agree more with you libertybelle and miss yanis!! We are not walking dictionaries and certainly we DO NOT KNOW every single word in our own languages.

When my students get surprised because I simply say "I don �t know" I usually answer with a question. For example: What �s the meaning of (a very difficult, technical odd word in their own language)? and then they get the idea!

We do not know everything, and that �s perfect! How boring it would be to have such knowledge! lol I think the important thing is to try to improve every day a little bit.

Have a nice day you all!!

15 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Is there any teacher who knows the whole dictionary?  Not to my knowledge.   A teacher can make it interesting by not knowing a word.  Make a game out of it.  I agree that we are not walking dictionaries.

15 May 2009     

don�t know how to CANCEL this account
Belgium

Hi!!
 I completely agree with the teachers here!...
It has happened to me too. Students sometimes come to ask for words they have heard on songs, which by the way, sometimes do not even exist. So as they expect me to know, I tell them that I �ll look it up for next class and I make sure I remember so as to not dissapoint them. But when some student make some comment like �how can the english teacher not know the word!!! � I tell them exactly the same thing Miss Yanis said: " we are not walking dictionaries"...and that �s why we use dictionaries because we can �t know it all or remember it all!.
Besides, we sometimes forget about words that we don �t use much in our everyday speech. I sometimes forget words in my own language and the enlgish or french word pops up in my head but not the one in my language!..

Have a really wonderful day!!!
Hug

15 May 2009     

eurirod
Spain

I always have a pocket dictionary in my bag, though I �m really proud of the wide vocabulary I know (;o) ehem!)... We are their reference when dealing with a L2 so it �s great that they learn that using all the resources they have at hand is useful. I �boast � of my mini-dictionary and they try to beat me with theirs and be faster than me when trying to find the translation of a strange Spanish word or a slang expression(for example, today it was �hortera �= naff). They learn to be autonomous, too! And we have fun!
Have a nice day Hug
Eva

15 May 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

I think that teachers convey an important message to students when we admit that we are not infallible. Students feel less worried about making mistakes and more predisposed at taking risks if they realise that teachers also do not know everything.

15 May 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

The main thing is react calmly when you do not know some word...for example, smile and say sorry, can �t remember :) I have teenage students group (15-16 yrs old) and when I forget some word or simply don �t know it they start making a show, like: "AHA! And you always tell us to LEARN words! There it is, you see???!!!" I just start laughing and ask them to relax because I �m not a walking dictionary or a robot or anything lol.

15 May 2009     

mjotab
Spain

I usually get the dictionary and look up the word myself and tell them that I can �t stand the curiosity (which it is usually true, really). Do not be offended, nobody knows everything, it would be very annoying if we were perfect! 

15 May 2009     

altan_neu
Turkey

http://en.wiktionary.org

15 May 2009     

1    2    Next >