Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dinner or lunch?    

Dinner or lunch?

Kriszta2009
Hungary

Dinner or lunch?

Dear Colleagues,

Dinner and lunch aren�t clear for me. 

One dictionary writes that dinner is eaten in the middle of the day the other writes : �it�s the meal you eat in the evening.� The third one writes: �the main meal of the day, whether eaten at midday or in the evening.

What about lunch? � Lunch is the meal you eat in the middle of the day.� writes the dictionary too.

I think the English eat some snack for lunch. They eat more courses for dinner at about 5-6 p.m.

In Hungary we eat 3 courses at 12-1 p.m. What should I call it?

And what do you say for the meal eaten at 4 in the afternoon?

Thanks for advance,

Kriszta

17 May 2009      

Kalina Perm
Russian Federation

I �m not a native, but I worked in the States for some time and can say what they have there. As far as I had a job in a restaurant, we served lunch (12-3 p.m.) and dinner (6-9 p.m.). This is how it goes in America :)

17 May 2009     

Anto29
Argentina

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=911897
Perhaps this link may help you. The explanation of The Prof is good.. I hope It could help you!

17 May 2009     

Amanda W
Austria

Hi Krista,
  Yes, this is always a confusing topic. Lunch can only be eaten at midday and you can clarify it with the adjective "light" (lunch) pointing towards the fact that the main meal, "dinner", would be  eaten later. The fact that the meals at lunchtime at school are called "school dinners" (taken at dinner time) doesn �t help much. Dinner seems to be acceptable for meals both at lunchtime and in the evening whereas lunch would only be used for a midday meal. A meal at 4:00 in the afternoon would be called tea or tea-time and if it �s more substantial: high tea.
            I hope that helps
                         Mandy

17 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

When I lived in England, dinner was the lunch meal. It �s just a different term.  There are many words that are the same but have different meanings. "Pants" in America means your outer clothing for the legs but in England it is your underwear.  In England the pants are called trousers.  "Jelly" in America is "jam" in England and "jelly" in England is "Jell-o" in America.  I think dinner/supper in America depends upon the area you are from.  As far as the dictionaries go, it depends upon the country of origin of the writer.  The afternoon meal is often called "tea" here in Hong Kong which is confusing because they have things other than tea. LOL  However, my mates in England called the evening meal "tea" also.   It �s whole other language sometimes. :)

17 May 2009     

arkel
Ireland

Hi all, well when I was growing up in a small town in Ireland we had dinner at midday and tea in the evening. Then when I was working in Dublin I had lunch, something light, at midday, mostly because of time limit, and dinner in the evening. Supper was always considered something very light if you felt peckish later at night. To recap, and what I tell my students, dinner is the main meal of the day and can be eaten at midday or in the evening, depending on where you live, in my small town nobody ever used the term lunch! 

17 May 2009     

Roy Piepers
Spain

It is very confusing. My partner always says: What �s for tea? He then refers to the big 3 course meal we are having. Apparently that is normal in the Midlands which is where he comes from.

17 May 2009     

Kriszta2009
Hungary

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you so much for your replies!!!!

17 May 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

The only additional comment I would make to Amanda �s post is that it would be unusual to eat a meal at 4pm!  Afternoon tea could be taken - something like scones or cake and a cuppa - but it �s a bit early for tea tea (if you know what I mean).  Afternoon tea would be just a little snack before tea (which could be dinner!).  Dinner is the substantial meal, though, whether eaten at lunch time, tea time or dinner time. Clear as mud?

17 May 2009     

susiebelle
United States

I �m from Texas and ï¿½dinner �usually referred to the BIG meal of the day. Most of the time , people eat 3 main meals a day -   it is breakfast-lunch-dinner- and eaten in this order.   

BUT ..... If you �re eating a big family get together at 1:00 in the afternoon -it �s usually called  dinner  (ie-Sunday Dinner). 

Don �t forget about SUPPER.  Supper is always referred to as the last of 3 main meals of the day.

17 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

In Canada , it is as Susiebelle has stated, as well.  �Dinner � is the big meal of the day.  We usually have breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Supper / dinner is the last meal of the day.  

17 May 2009     

1    2    Next >