Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Please, be careful with the UNCOUNTABLE nouns...    

Please, be careful with the UNCOUNTABLE nouns...

Mishuna
Argentina

Please, be careful with the UNCOUNTABLE nouns...

Hi, I �ve seen several printables with the same mistake...be careful and when you download a worksheet, check for every single detail because we can make mistakes as teachers...
the word FRUIT is UNCOUNTABLE so we cannot say FRUITS...the same as FURNITURE, we cannot say FURNITURES...
Please, for the ones who have uploaded worksheets with this mistake, try to correct it because there may be teachers who just download and not look at mistakes...

Thanks a lot!

23 May 2009      

Damielle
Argentina

Another mistake that I have seen in several wss dealing with clothes and/or Present continuous is the use of "use" instead of "wear" 

23 May 2009     

marta_marta
Poland

Hi!
It �s true that all grammar reference books say that "fruit" is uncountable. However, as I �ve seen "fruits" in loads of texts I asked some native speakers of English about it. According to them the word "fruits" is used quite often and they don �t consider it incorrect. I wonder if any native speakers here could share their knowledge with us...

Best regards

23 May 2009     

douglas
United States

A banana, an apple and a pear are three fruits (thee different kinds)

If they were all in one fruit basket they would be called fruit

Sometimes we native speakers do use fruit in the plural form, but, in general, it is uncountable.

(Native Californian)

23 May 2009     

frenchfrog
France

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fruit

23 May 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

I have to  agree with Marta marta. See this article.

With some meanings, fruit is uncountable, but in same cases, it �s not. The same happens with food/foods

23 May 2009     

douglas
United States

Hi French frog- long time no seeSmile

23 May 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

I agree -  I have also seen both fruit and fruits... The main thing is to "feel" the difference :)

23 May 2009     

eng789
Israel

Since you are on the subject  of count and non-count nouns,  I saw this in a sample of a course book for grade 8 that I am concidering.

How many bacteria are there in one liter of drinking water?

Shouldn �t it be - bacterium - the plural form???

23 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

We sometimes use �fruits � as pointed out in Frenchfrog �s link.  We also refer to fruit when we say the fruits of the world.

It �s soooooooooo good to see you back Frenchfrog. 

23 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi eng789.  I think bacteria is the plural and bacterium is the singular.

23 May 2009     

1    2    Next >