Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > So sad...    

So sad...

Nebal
Lebanon

Dearest Mena,
Ivona is just trying to calm thing down and add a comic sense here. She plays with words. She knows it !!! Hope I was right, dear Ivona.

Your smile , dear Mena, is enough to clear away all sadness in the world!!!
Love,
Nebal

5 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Just last night, i was at my 8th graders prom (and had a BLAST!) and at one point, after the ss had addressed the teachers and congratulated one another, a gym teacher (about 35 years my senior) who is to be retired this week came up to me and said:
"Ivona, i hope you have no hard feelings towards me because of the things i said at the meeting the other day. I wouldn �t want to retire and be remembered by you in a negative way."
And i said: "Whaaa? Smile Just because we had different opinions over the matter and had a really heated discussion does not mean i hate you, or that i will hold it against you for the rest of my life and that i will try to get back at you. We �re still friends. Smile"
"Then, if that �s the case, it makes me really happy."

What had happened was this. The practice here is that teachers give higher marks to 8th grade students because of the points they will need for the secondary school. The 8th graders know that, so from the very beginning of the school year, they feel as if they didn �t have to study at all because they would be gratified good marks at the end of the year, this way or another. Of course, they �re smart and go the easier way. But i don �t let it be the case with me. My 8th graders, but all the others as well, know that they must earn good marks, that i keep my word and that i don �t have double standards. The profession of their parents, or their social status, do not mean anything to me. It �s the students only. My aim with them is not to create brilliant speakers of English, that �s impossible, but to make them responsible.

My fellow colleagues, on the other hand, do not go out of their way to do what i �m doing, but they too go the easier way. If a student did not deserve a �pass � mark, they �d still give it to him because they would have to hold remedial lessons after classes and miss their bus and be home half an hour later! Also, they need favours from the students � parents. Also, the school looks better in the ministry of education �s eyes if the students � average marks are high. And so on ...

So, last Friday, they insisted that i gave one mark up to one of the ss who had been idle throughout the whole year but whose father had helped a lot with the school electricity, so for the sake of him and the school i was supposed to go back on my word and principles to satisfy the system. And i didn �t want to because of me and because of the ss who have great respect for me for sticking to my principles. Anyway, I stated my opinion and supported it with arguments. They stated theirs and supported it with arguments having to do with me being �big headed �, �bratty �, �still green and already brazen �, �who are you to tell us how to do our job �, �who do you think you are? the principal? the school psychologist? � etc. Then they used different excuses like bad parents, bad conditions in the school, bad children, bad country, bad policy, bad this and that.
But the thing that irritated me most and that they kept repeating was this: "What makes you think that you can change the system? You �re alone in it."
To that i told them: "What makes you think that i can �t? At least I want to give it a try. I succeeded in having ALL the 8th graders come to the final paper prepared and you let them copy in yours. Btw, you keep saying i �m right in everything i say, yet keep supporting the system. Why don �t you change sides and come to mine?"
And gz they said: "What makes you think that 15 of us can make a change?"

Now, to cut the long story short, i tried to find a middle way and said, "Ok, i disagree with giving him a bigger mark, but you as a teachers � committee can vote and i can then go before the students with a clean conscience. If i corrected his mark, i would have to bring all the other marks by one up. And that �s impossible." But i had a horrible day afterwards feeling defeated, knocked down, and the worst feeling of all, disappointed with myself because i wasn �t strong enough to resist giving in.

Oh, oh, and one more thing. I was one against all of them, actually 3 of them spoke (one of them the gym teacher) but the others ... oooh, the others kept silent. Wisely silent. They didn �t want to step on anyone �s toe, keeping their opinions to themselves. Now, THEY are the ones who really got to me. With the three there was a clash of opinions, but at least we said to each other what we thought. The silent ones (and i knew it would happen) approached me in the next few days tete-a-tete to tell me "well said. couldn �t agree more. just as well you told them. when ..." and i would rudely interrupt and say "you were at the meeting. if you had had anything to say, you should have done it there. i really do not want to hear about it" and i would change the subject.

Ahem, now the moral of the �abdelhadi-long � story (lol, it might become a term that will enter a thesaurus or sth! no offence abdelhadi, it �s my imagination running wild again!! i have no-thing against you) They made me stoop, i stood up. And they will do it again, but i will rise and shine and not have them have the last laugh. To quote my fave Lars von Trier (film director)

They say it �s the last song, but they don �t know ME, you see
it �s only the last song if I let it be. LOL

I love you all guys!

5 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Linda
Hope by now you are feeling better with all these posts. I don �t know what people are talking about, I have been a little absent, but having different opinions is a healthy thing, it is what makes the world step ahead, so you are right.
But there is one very important thing you forgot - at least, for me - we only get sad/angry with our friends; the others, we don �t care what they do / think.
So, if you are sad / angry that is because you consider those people friends, then you must talk and solve the problem. Think, first; are you really sad?

Hugs and kisses.
I am angry with Saint Peter ( he sent more heavy rain ) Cry
Hug

5 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

"having different opinions is a healthy thing, it is what makes the world step ahead"
Clap

5 Jun 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hey Ivona,
What �s that big story??? You know what? If I were there in Serbia , i would vote for you !!
You must become someone so bright in the future.
You made me regret the days I didn �t stand  and shine !!! Though I was a shining student who won �t fear to speak her thoughts. The last two years have changed and I became a little bit silent, which I hate.

Go for it ,girl. WoWWWWWWW!!!

5 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

They say it �s the last song,
but they don �t know ME,
you see

it �s only the last song
if I let it be.
Thumbs Up

Clap

5 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi there everybody...

I am quite amazed at the all your wonderful responses. Embarrassed

Mena is quite correct - I am sad... and yes, you are right my sweet Nebal, Ivona is just being silly and making me smile... and yes, I do need a hug Ivona but I need to find that hunky Swede first! ... and Linda, my dear Linda, I am sad -BUT believe it or not - not just for me, but for others who were also picked on for their opinions. The initial post wasn �t about ME, it was about how OTHERS are being treated here.

Thank you again everybody for your kind words. They have made me feel a little better today...

PS:

Does anyone know a cute Swede that wants to give me a hug???  

5 Jun 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

That you Ivona so much. I almost cried when I read your post. I know EXACTLY how you must feel �But remenber..it is YOU who remains the winner. You have kept your dignity intact. You have confirmed what I already knew about you anyway.
Caroline�Hug

I think of this quote now ! �

"Some men dream the dream that was and ask WHY?
I (ivona) �dream the dream that never was and ask WHY NOT!!?"

5 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Here �s me having one of my songs with my hubby at about 5am on Jan 1st this year!
http://www.mediafire.com/?zmmmu3d3aey

It �s a famous Macedonian song "Jovano, Jovanke".
Greetings to all neigbours from Macedonia!

5 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

Linda,

A lot of us refer to the members of this site as a "family".  We have a lot of characters and differences of opinon in this "family"--that �s what makes it so great.  What �s important for keeping a family healthy is for people to express their feelings about things that are bothering them.  This helps make everyone sigh with relief in that what also was concerning them is finally in the open.

I think a number of us has refrained form commenting on a number of threads due to the hurtful things being said (I know I have).  I �m a positive person (which probably makes some people just sickSmile).  I think we have a good base of GOOD people here and our "family" will survive.

I used to teach a lot of group theory and a common key to successful groups was recognizing that there will always be "highs" and "lows"  the ttrick is recognizing the "lows" as just "lows"--not derailment.

One of my favorite movie quotes (from Parenthood):

"I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn �t like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it. "

And a second from Revenge of the Nerds:  "Buck-up little camper"

You are all great, and you regularlly make my day--thanks,

Douglas

5 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >