Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Other subjects    

Other subjects

aletsteyn
South Africa

Other subjects

Isn �t it possible that we can add themes and worksheets for other subjects as well? I think most of us teach more than one subject and this will be great if we can maybe have headings like: arts and culture, technology, history, geography, maths, science etc.

30 Jul 2009      

goodnesses
Algeria

In this case we will have to think about changing the name of the site. ESLprintables will be nonsense.

This site as everybody knows is dedicated to the English Language teaching as a Second or Foreign language.

Sites including all school subjects are not specialized in language teaching. The English there is considered as the first language (L1) used to teach all those subjects.

30 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, Sylvie!Thumbs Up

30 Jul 2009     

libertybelle
United States

For me - the whole world hangs together and I often teach science, geography, history and other subjects in my English lessons because I teach in themes and to do that you need a specific vocabulary as well as an every day vocabulary.

When we work with pollution or global warming as a theme, we need words such as:
greenhouse effect
pollution
environment
consumers
dredging
Carbon monoxide
industrial waste
contamination
littering
and many more.............

and if we �re working with an historical subject, we need to learn words pertaining to that topic. When my kids travel to an English speaking country we work with math, history and currency.
At the moment, most contributors write the topic/subject matter in the heading - but it might make it easier to have them under subject matter.
That way topics such as Welcome to Britain would be under English Speaking Countries and not all mixed together under the Worksheet heading.
L

30 Jul 2009     

tricia973
Uruguay

I totally agree with libertybell... it would be a good idea to classify worksheets under more specific headings... since many of us work with content based instruction and we deal with other subject areas and not only English since language is not an end in itself but a means...
Personally, I sometimes - in coordination with colleagues - reinforce other subject areas knowledge through language this way making it a meaningful opportunity to practice it.

30 Jul 2009     

tricia973
Uruguay

One more comment... most of us are not ESL teachers... even when the site is called eslprintables.... 

I am an EFL teacher... These to acronyms are not the same but that didn �t prevent me from signing up and becoming part of this spectacular site with spectacular people from whom I �ve learnt a lot!

Have a nice day! I �m afraid I �m late for work! :)

Hugs from Uruguay!!

30 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

I think that aletsteyn want to have a section useful to her when she gets to teach History, another when she gets to teach Biology and another when she gets to teach Technology and so on...
What is, according to me, completely different from teaching "English" based on thematic approach meant by LibertyBelle.

I think that aletsteyn does not teach English only but other subjects as well. I suppose this is true in most countries especially in the earliest learning stages (Pre and primary education).
In Algeria the kids in the pre- and primary school have one teacher. He/she taught them the different subjects using different a textbook for each.

However, I agree with with liberty that the categorization system is to be improved. It is not really helpful the way it is now when you have to browse the old contribution. Due to the number of contributions we reached.

tricia973 as an EFL teacher aren´t you inverting that thing of "Knowledge Through Language". I am also an EFL teacher and in Algeria we say the inverse; "Language Through Knowledge" simply, because the kids study all other subjects in Arabic. But we their teachers of English and French and sometimes Spanish make a call to their knowledge in the other subjects (as LibertyBelle demonstrated it above) to improve their knowledge of the foreign language.

PS: A teacher of Language in Algeria will or can in no way the alternative teacher of another subject.
I said this a long time before. What is amazing with a teacher of language is that he can/has to   put himself the boots of (but not be) a teacher of any subject but the teachers of the other subjects can in noway do it.

30 Jul 2009     

tricia973
Uruguay

Goodnesses:

This is a difficult issue I guess... to a certain extent I agree with you , I teach English and my most important aim is to make them understand, learn and speak English. However, I want them to learn much more than the language... I want to help them develop a critical view on the world around them as well... I think all of us want that from our students!

Thanks for your answer and have a nice day! Smile (I �m going back to work again... lol)

30 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear Tricia!

"I teach English and my most important aim is to make them understand, learn and speak English. However, I want them to learn much more than the language"

I never meant the opposite.

This thread is about the possibility of having a different section in the site; a special one for each learning "subject".
A "subject" and a "topic/theme" in the language learning process aren �t the same thing, are they?

Dear aletsteyn can you tell us what grades/age you are teaching?

30 Jul 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Alet, I think you can. I see many worksheets using other subjects in English. For example, numbers... we need to teach numeracy in English too. I use History in my lessons sometimes, because I need to inspire discussion. Or Science... or Biology (the body). We introduce so many subjects in our lessons.

I believe that teaching various subjects in English is part of ESL teaching. Who here hasn �t had students they teach who plan to immigrate to an English country or integrate into an English school system and has needed to know how to do those subjects in English? I know I have. I know it is an essential issue in South Africa where kids are being integrated (or at least, that was the case when I was still there).

31 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear Tint
Aren �t you mixing "subject"s and "topics/themes"?

31 Jul 2009     

1    2    Next >