Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > self-advertize    

self-advertize

mr.dgdln
Turkey

self-advertize

some days ago
a member asked a ws to play with adult learners.
two helpful member answered this request and provided (more than one) links of the worksheets of their own.
they just wanted to help but unintentionally they self-advertized their workseets.
I asked them to send a pm instead of self-advertizing on the main page and added "please do whatever considered acceptable on this site"

nobody supported me apart from one member. I had a pm which was telling me :

"People here sail with the rules flag and suddenly they change and brake them...

I guess we will need to talk about rules another hundred times...And maybe, just maybe we will learn to follow the rules..."

this was a really good point of view.

yesterday I played a innocent game and wrote on the main page the link of a worksheet I liked best among the day �s contributions.

I got 4 or 5 reaction messages in my p.m box.

they warned me against self-advertizing.

I concluded for sure that advertizing is forbidden on this site when I was given a reaction even if I hadn �t advertized my own worksheets.

am I right or did I get it wrong?
İf I �d got it right, why I was the one who was reacted because of warning self-advertizing?

greetings from Turkiye!

22 Aug 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Hi! personally I think you did the right thing in the first case. When I have a worksheet that is suitable to someone �s request I send a private message instead of answering the post.

As for your post advertising a worksheet on the day �s contributions, well I �m afraid I don �t agree with that, but not to the point to do something about it.

Have a nice evening,
mena

22 Aug 2009     

winky2
United Kingdom

I �m not an expert on the rules, but I think there �s nothing wrong in providing links for the person who asks for help.  Sometimes it �s really hard to find something on the site, especially if you �re not sure, what you �re looking for. For me, it �s not advertising.   On the other hand though, I don´t think I would use links for my own worksheets.

22 Aug 2009     

_babz
Canada

some preach, but when it �s time to follow their sermon, they turn the other way...

22 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

In the first post you �re relating to, the members in question were replying to a call for help. I don �t see anything wrong with that. They could have given any links on the website. They chose theirs but I did not see it as a blatant case of advertizing.

In your post, you were giving the link to another member �s printable. As far as I �m concerned, this was not self advertisement and I don �t understand why you got the pm you �re talking about. What is the difference between what you did and posting a thread with a link to another website? None, I believe. The intention is to help.

Last I checked, this self advertising rule is an unwritten rule. I can understand the mayhem that would create if everyone started posting a thread everytime they uploaded a document,  so common sense dictates we should not do that.

22 Aug 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

tbarz  Thumbs Up

"We are all equal, but some of us are more equal than others" Wink

Have any of you read "Animal farm"?
It was always the same, and forever will be...

Life is a big circle

22 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Hi Mr. D and others!

There is a huge difference between self advertising and helping a member.
If someone asks for a Ws about smoking and I �ve written a WS on this topic,
why would it be wrong to send a link to this worksheet?
(I haven �t written a WS about smoking  - just so you know)

Often someone sends a link in a PM and others ask if the link couldn �t be posted
here on the board so they also could take a look.

Self advertising is when you - without being asked - post about your own worksheet.
Helping a fellow member is answering a question with material that might help.

That �s my opinion.
L

22 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

My apology then Silke, I was not as present on the site this summer and I missed that post from Victor.
I totally agree with it!

Cheers!

Manon

22 Aug 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

Well, as far as I understand, Victor set a new rule, we shouldn �t advertise any worksheet, no matter if it "mine" or "somebody else �s"...
IF you click on "post a new topic" http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/newtopic.asp
you will see this new RULE:

ESL forum > Post new topic:

Please, don �t use the forum to advertise your worksheets or other users � worksheets. There are hundreds of contributions every day, and it would be annoying if everybody did the same.

Although I PERSONALLY don �t find anything wrong in advertising somebody else �s work, in case the ws is not much downloaded, I must follow the rules and I cannot advertise...

In case of ANSWERING a post and giving advise - few links, I find it appropriate...

In case of posting a NEW TOPIC with links, the advertisement is now PROHIBITED... :-(

It had been agreed before to USE TEACHER �S CAF� and PM for adverts / recommendations... The posts at Caf� are deleted in a day or two, so it �s ok...

You are talking about this Forum POST where you advertised somebody else �s work http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=11241

I have to tell you, YOU ARE REALLY LUCKY GUY, because THERE ARE NO NASTY ANSWERS to your post... If you posted this very same message few days ago, I might have received  a number of messages accusing you of ......  whatever...

So, you were lucky to get PM messages only :-D

22 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

A big thanks Moravc! Thank you for clearing that up.
Like we say in my mother tongue, I �ll go to bed less stupid...Embarrassed

23 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

It must have been our wonderful book club discussion that has created such a nice atmosphere here the last couple of days.  that �s really how it should be!

L

23 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >