Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > don īt follow the glamour..    

don īt follow the glamour..

Zora
Canada

I sadly have to agree with Mouna and edlerverien.

While I know that the most colourful worksheets are often the most downloaded, to me - "the pretty packaging" doesn īt make the worksheet.

In fact, I hardly ever download the image heavy ones - or ones that I know can īt be modified - any more.

Teddy bears, Fairies and Dolls are just a bit too much for my adults and teens. The boys just look at the worksheet funny - instantly reacting in a negative way to the sight of flowers and rainbows while the girls also give me a funny-look like saying "I don īt play with dolls anymore. Why is there a Barbie on my worksheet?"...

I realize that we are in a world of image conscious consumerism and I understand that people want "pretty things" but beauty is only skin, or in our case - paper deep and what is inside, should be what is important... 

27 Aug 2009     

khaled69
Jordan

I THINK THAT MISS MOUNA EXPLODE ASUBJECT WHICH IS IMPORTANT.
I AGREE WITH MOUNA ALOT AND OFCOURSE MISS LADY BIRD HAS READ MY THOUGHTS ,I BEILIEVE THAT PICTURES AND ALOT OF CLIPART DELETE THE IMPORTANT CONTENT WHICH ALL WE NEED AND OFCOURSE CAN ALSO DISTRACT STUDENTS
IT IS WHAT EXACTLY MISS BIRD HAS SAID BEFORE(Too much work and wasted time, not enough content sometimes...
REGARDS
KHALED69

27 Aug 2009     

anabelys
Panama

Although colored worksheets are so beautiful to us as a teachers, maybe our students do not grasp the content we want to teach them because they are paying attention to the colors than to the content of the ws. Color ws are useless in some cases, for me the idea when I aplied a ws is that my students be able to color them after they achieved tha goal of the ws, but according with the color I say them and in that order they are reinforcing their previous knowledege about colors.

Bye

27 Aug 2009     

spring
Turkey

Same topic again,guess it will continue in other  times too.
I also share same concerns with Mouna,edlerverein,Linda,lady bird  and many others.
Lately,I � ve realised that many members just focuses on packaging.
When a ws is both coloured and rich in content,then it is Ok for me.
In my ws,I am trying this.
Esp. I am trying to prepare more exercise parts.
Do I use colours?
Yes,but only for keeping them to myself.When I print a ws,I prefer B&W.
Not because ink is expensive and I have many many Ss but because it distracts attention.
(when there are lots of cliparts and colours).

And again yes,colourful ws grasp attention.They are usually the most downloaded ones.
There are really wonderful ws but (I am so sorry yet this is the case lately )in this colourful festival people are downloading some poor ws filled with rich adornments.
By the way Sylvie darling ,I love the way you express your thoughtsLOL

27 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

First  - welcome to the site

Second - we don īt advertise our own materials on this board. If your worksheets are of interest they will be downloaded. There are 212940 members and worksheets here - so you can imagine what this board would look like if everyone advertised their stuff.

Third - I think it is arrogant of you to generalize about 212940 members by saying  that
"you noticed that everyone here follows the glamour." wow you must have been busy checking out thousands of downloads to come to that result.

That is one gigantic generalization if I ever heard one. and I take that as a personal insult.
Think before you write.  Not a good start - you think? Thumbs Down

L

27 Aug 2009     

Akanah
Spain

I guess it all depends on the student īs age... when talking about pics, I mean. Of course too many pics and colors not related to the WS can ruin it. That īs why I really appreciate when the author includes B&W version.

Sometimes, with my very YL ss,I do not delete all the pics, if there are too many. I leave then so I can make an oral exercise like: "Take a look at the elf in your WS. His t-shirt is red, the scarf is brown..."

Mouna, you seem to be concern about WSS created to be used with older ss. Well, you can be sure that your work will be downloaded if it īs worthy. So, as I said in my previous post, don īt worry about it.

Once again, welcome to this wonderful site.

Olga

27 Aug 2009     

Adel A
Egypt

I agree with u but to some extent .Some times there are wonderful ideas but without the the distingushed finishing .I really could understand u more because of our common culture but why don īt we try again .Really i see here amazing ideas which i feel astonished to see such ceaseless creative ideas .Finally Remember me the land of million ms
Adel hawary
Egyptian
work in Saudi Arabia

28 Aug 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Mouna, I do agree with you. I have been a member here for a little while now and I have noticed the huge number of downloads the colourful and picture-loaded worksheets get. I don īt know why some have taken offence to that being pointed out. It is a fact. I don īt mind in the least that they īre popular, but, for me, I tend to stay away from those worksheets for the simple reason that there are a few that are really good, though painful to read because of their tiny text. The rest often don īt have much else beyond pictures to offer.

I tend to be choosy in my downloads. The colourful ones, I often have to download before I īm able to even see if they īre worth keeping. I try to read as much of the worksheet in the preview before downloading. For the most part, the black and white ones suit me well. The colourful, picture-loaded ones get converted to black and white anyway, so the packaging isn īt what catches my eye at all.

28 Aug 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Mouna, I do agree with you. I have been a member here for a little while now and I have noticed the huge number of downloads the colourful and picture-loaded worksheets get. I don īt know why some have taken offence to that being pointed out. It is a fact. I don īt mind in the least that they īre popular, but, for me, I tend to stay away from those worksheets for the simple reason that there are a few that are really good, though painful to read because of their tiny text. The rest often don īt have much else beyond pictures to offer.

I tend to be choosy in my downloads. The colourful ones, I often have to download before I īm able to even see if they īre worth keeping. I try to read as much of the worksheet in the preview before downloading. For the most part, the black and white ones suit me well. The colourful, picture-loaded ones get converted to black and white anyway, so the packaging isn īt what catches my eye at all.

28 Aug 2009     

reeta1
Canada

I have more of a problem with the typos I find in worksheets I download than in the pictures. Although some of the pictures are hard to see.

28 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >